13 months post op. lab issues!

berrixblonde
on 4/14/12 1:20 am - NY
hey all. so my labs revealed that my vitamin d is 110 and my doctor lectured me on toxicity and how it will store in my organs etc she wants me to stop taking vitamin d 50,000 units dry for 1 month then start again with 1 pill every 2 weeks. i know from being on this website that we like our D around 100, but the doctor is saying this is untrue. any opinions or experience with this?

Also, my hair is starting to come out in clumps again. i hope starting protein shakes again haults this.

and finally, the scale hasn't moved downard in months now..well besides flucuating from 159 to 161. is this normal at 13 months out??

Thanks in advance =)
april89love
on 4/14/12 2:01 am - NC
You are right about the vitamin d, you could cut back a little if you wanted. The protein will help the hair situation, you have to keep your protein up all the time. And, finally, I have had the same problems with the scale until recently. It has been moving steadily down now after a couple of month stall. Don't worry, it will kick in again.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

poet_kelly
on 4/14/12 5:34 am - OH
Well, the Linus Pauling Institute says it needs to be at least 80.  I can't call if that's who says it can safely be up to about 200 or if that's the Vitamin D Council and I don't have access to my bookmarks to look it up for you or give you the links right now. 

Personally, I was pleased that my vitamin D was 142 last time I had labs done.  I did cut back some - went from taking 50,000 IU almost daily to taking it three times a week, which is obviously a very small change.  I would be delighted with a D level of 110.

As far as taking 50,000 IU every other week, I don't think that's likely to be enough.  Most post ops I know need at least 10,000 IU a day to maintain a level of 80, although I know a few who can do it with only 5000 IU a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/12 6:10 am - Boston, MA
 we are similar! same surgery date, same high D and b12 and my hair has been coming out a little lately.. oh and worst of all the scale has not moved in about 2 months up and down the same 3 lbs.. I finally dropped down to 199.. now I'm 200.1 again argh!! 

Just wanted you to know you weren't alone!  I'm cutting back from 3x 50,000 D to 2x per week I'm not changing my b12 and I don't know what's up wtih the hairloss I think I'm going to try to get in 100 g protein everyday and see if that helps.
rbb825
on 4/14/12 6:07 pm - Suffern, NY
Does your doctor know the range of vitamin?  It is 30-100?  You are at 110 - that isnt that high.You are no where near toxic levels provided you are taking Dry D3.    I was at 110 for a year and no one every said a word it wasnt until I went to greater than 150, that my doctor freaked and told me to stop my D - I did for 2 weeks and I plummeted - please dont do it.  We take strong stuff and it works really well, stopping and cutting the dose really affects our levels.  The problem is that some of get advise to take too much too soon and end up with levels too high.  When I give out advise to take D -  I never tell anyone to take it more than 2 or 3 times per week and that depends on the dose but I see others telling people to take it daily and that causes the problems.

So, I don't know how often you are taking it,  If you are taking it 3 times per week, take it 2 times per week.  If 2 times per week, then you should take it 2 times per week for 1 week and then once per week for the next and then repeat.  This will lower it with out causing it to plummet.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 430 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 363 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 363 views