abdominal pain

Susan G.
on 4/15/12 1:06 am
I started having some pain in my upper abdomen, it's not constant pain and not unbearable but just there and it seems to be worse in the mornings. I've been to the doctor and he prescribed acid reducing medicine although this does not feel like heartburn or gerd. One of the lab results, Lipase, came back elevated. Anyone have an idea what this might be? I will continue to monitor and I'm keeping in touch with my doctor with any changes. Thanks.
Sue G.            
momjan
on 4/15/12 2:18 am - Canada

From www.labtestsonline.org
- query effects of elevated lipase
1.  What are the long-term consequences of pancreatitis?

With acute pancreatitis, there is usually no long term damage and often no further problems develop. Chronic pancreatitis, which may present as a series of acute attacks or as an ongoing upset, can cause permanent damage. As the pancreas becomes scarred, some people develop diabetes and/or the inability to digest foods, especially fats. The lack of normal pancreatic enzymes may lead to adverse effects on food digestion and waste production, causing abdominal pain, greasy stools, and the formation of stones in the pancreas. Even if the disease is controlled, the damage done is often irreversible. If the disease progresses, it could lead to death.

^ Back to top

2.  Do elevated lipase levels always mean I have a pancreatic condition?

In some cases, an elevated lipase may be due to a condition other than pancreatitis. In pancreatitis, the lipase level rises quickly and drops in 5 to 7 days. In other conditions, the rise is usually not as great, and the level may be maintained for a longer period. Moderately increased lipase values can occur in other conditions, such as kidney disease, due to decreased clearance from the blood, salivary gland inflammation, a bowel obstruction, or peptic ulcer disease, although the lipase test is not usually used to monitor these conditions. Your doctor will determine whether you have a pancreatic disorder. He will make a diagnosis based on your symptoms, medical history, and test results.

^ Back to top

3.  Why are lipase and amylase tests usually ordered together?

Blood amylase levels are sensitive for pancreatic disorders but are not specific. That means an elevated amylase may indicate a problem, but a disorder unrelated to the pancreas may be the cause. Lipase levels are usually more specific than amylase for diseases of the pancreas. Evaluating the results of the two tests together help to diagnose or rule out pancreatitis and other conditions.

rbb825
on 4/15/12 2:10 pm - Suffern, NY
elevated lipase levels are serious - I cant believe your doctors havent 'said anything to you and just let it go.  This is a sign of pancreatitis and usually means hospitalization  - you usually need to stay off of all food and fluids for either days or sometimes weeks depending on how bad it is and how high the lipase and amylase levels are.

Please call your PCP  tomorrow and dont' put this off - it can be very serious.

do you still have your gallbladder?  it is possible that you  have a gallstone blocking the pancreatic duct causing this which can result in pancreatitis - this is just as serious and can be a cause to need your need your gallbladder out ASAP - you need to talk to your PCP right away and dont put it off.

Most Active