Cardinal RNY Rule #1: No drinking with meals... ugh?!?

dizzylizzy19
on 4/18/12 4:03 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
I know the RNY Rule #1 that you aren't supposed to drink with meals.  Pre-surgery I'm a huge drinker with meals (usually water, etc - no alochol!). 

My question is how do you break yourself of this "habit?"  I cannot imagine making it through a meal without drinking and honestly - this is one of my biggest fears!

wendydettmer
on 4/18/12 4:06 am, edited 4/18/12 4:06 am - Rochester, NY
i just stopped putting a glass of liquid with me at meal time.  yeah i'm a bit thirsty but i just make up for it later. it was well worth the trade off for me.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Jerry R.
on 4/18/12 4:15 am - Simi Valley, CA
 Absolutely the most important rule!  I "forgot" about this rule shortly after surgery, led to significant regain.  

18 months ago I got back on track....to the basics including liquid management.  Even years and years out it makes such a big difference on the amount of food I eat and how long I stay satisfied.

It is common for me to wait 90 min after eating to have a drink.  This allows the food to pass slowly.  In my opinion this also helps reduce late dumping (hypoglycemia).

It takes a little while to get used to it....I wish I did it years ago!

Good luck.

JR

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/18/12 4:26 am
As Wendy said, I just stopped serving myself a drink. After surgery for the first few months you won't have room to eat and drink at the same time. I wait 45 minutes after I am done eating to start drinking again.

Deb had a good suggestion the last time this came up. If you get thirsty, eat a frozen grape at the end of your meal (wait until you're to that food stage, though)

My surgeon is pretty adamant about this. He even says he doesn't think anyone needs to eat and drink at the same time because it still washes the food out of your stomach that much faster.
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/18/12 4:29 am, edited 4/18/12 4:30 am
RNY on 01/10/12
I started out using a timer.  Seriously.  Now I keep it more in my head.  ("I had breakast at 9 and now it's 10:30 so I can start drinking again.")

If I'm in a restaurant  I a do order a glass of water in case I get something "stuck" and I need to sip. And I sometimes do take a few very small sips if I'm desperately thirsty after I eat.  Or I'll brush my teeth, which helps.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

dizzylizzy19
on 4/18/12 4:32 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
Thanks everyone.  I guess I'm just so used to drinking while eating, I'm afraid of giving it up. 

Any hints - such as the frozen grape are welcomed!
dan434
on 4/18/12 4:52 am - NJ
RNY on 05/22/12

you should start doing it now you get used  to it as soon as i new it was something we have to do its not as bad as you think and you do feel full quicker mine is 30 min before and after meals it goes quick belive me i always drank wiyh meals , my date is just a little over a month away and started with smaller plates and proportians to help my head get used to eat good luck you can do this but you gota be 110 %  commeted !

SarinaHaas
on 4/18/12 4:46 am - NY
RNY on 02/28/12
I always brush my teeth right after I'm done eating. This has helped a ton! I keep a toothbrush and travel sized paste in my purse & my desk drawer at work.

Also, when we go out to eat, I get an iced water when we get there, but when they bring our food, I have the waiter take the glass (which is usually empty) after he sets down my food. As previous posters have said, not having the water/drink in front of me makes it so much easier. I also try to finish my meal with a couple bites of juicy fruit/veggies. Helps wet my pallet a bit.

This was (IS) the hardest for me (I'm only 8 weeks out) .. it gets easier & easier every day!
seattledeb
on 4/18/12 5:09 am
 I would come on here and read 30 minutes of posts and then drink.
Don't have a glass on the table with you.
You are right..it is ..I think..the most important rule. Ask anyone who comes back on here with significant regain. Ask them is they drink with meals and they will invariably say yes.
I went out for breakfast with a friend who had Rny years ago. She ordered a large milk. I asked her why and she said.."it's the only way I can eat a lot of food..I have to wa**** out of my pouch".

This one really is important.
Deb T.

grmadeb01
on 4/18/12 6:04 am - FL
i ususally take ahuge drink of water just before i take my first bite..then push the jug away...then the last bite or 2 of food that i take is a grape, orange, watermelon to give me a change of taste, texture and to kind of cleanse my mouth.....go do something else, read, clean, internet....my food plan is to wait and hour after eating i usually go the hour, but sometimes at the 45 min mark i am looking for something to drink...but the grapes, or fruit as the last bite seems to help...
debby
Most Active
Recent Topics