what's on your grocery list? with lots of protein low carbs need ideas

SafetyTurtle
on 4/23/12 12:14 am - Cincinnati, OH
I will eat carbs if they're in the house.  And I'm the worst kind of carb eater...the 1 bite grabber.  I'll just have a bite, while I'm passing thru the kitchen.  And then the next time I pass thru.  And the next...you get it? Yeah, if that 1 bite was it, fine.  But over the day it adds a serving size of crap to my diet, which I work so hard to keep in check.  Thankfully, I found this out about myself before surgery, and since surgery I really don't eat that many simple carbs.  I tell myself it is willpower, because I need the self-esteem boost, but also I just don't buy that stuff.  If we have a special occassion, I make sure guests leave with the leftovers.  More importantly I think to being able to get off the simple carbs is that I have found substitutions for what I liked before.  I do keep a loaf of Pepperidge Farms Very Thin 100% Whole Wheat bread in the fridge, and a loaf easily lasts me 4-6 weeks, and that's making a sandwich for my hubby or stepdaughter occassionally, too.  I crave carbs at one specific time of the month, I'm sure other gals can commiserate.  

So staples on the weekly grocery list are...

Tub of grated parmesan cheese, mini turkey pepperonis, and Quorn meatless crumbles; to make crustless pizza crisps.

Greek yogurt.  I saw your concern over the carbs, and yes, I love Carbmaster yogurt, but the Kroger Greek yogurt has better stats than the namebrand (Chobani, Oikos, etc).  It has 15 carbs and 14-16g of protein.  Chobani has 20-30 carbs and 12-15g of protein.  Plus, the Kroger is cheaper.  I only like the strawberry though. 

Skim milk for protein shakes and protein hot chocolate.

Low fat cheese sticks.

Lots of cheese in general.

Turkey, chicken breast, and ham lunchmeat.

Fresh lettuce, fresh fruit & veggies.  This has been a very recent addition, since my diet and body have gotten into a real routine, and I can get my protein in, I love to have a salad with lunch and dinner, and fruit for snacks.  It's a real treat after 6 months of only having bites here and there of anything fresh.  I got sick of canned stuff a long time ago.  

I'm addicted to Kroger Diet Decaffeinated Sweet Tea.  It's usually 2/$3, and I buy like 4  a week. 

Dry Roasted Edemame

Pre-minced garlic in the big jar.

Chicken breast

Some kind of "fancy" meat (steak, angus burger) for our Sunday night dinner.

Albacore Tuna

Quorn Gruyere & Chik'n cutlets, Dried Cranberry & Goat Cheese Chik'n cutlets (can I just say YUM!)

So those are always on the list it seems, and always need to be replenished.  I plan everything out and that takes a lot of guesswork out of the game.  I track everything.  I stick to a 40% protein, 30% carb 30% fat calorie ratio, 12-1500 calories a day.  I work out at least 3 days a week in the gym, and walk every day at least a half hour. 

The last month (I'm 7 months out today) has been the roughest in a while, I had a stall and a gain and a lot of pain from a new work out routine, and I've just been tired.  Scale finally moved the right direction, and today is a brand new day LoL  Isn't life as a post op fun!  

Gina :~)

Most Active
Recent Topics