patiently waiting and eating my face off

ritarugger
on 4/22/12 11:25 pm - NY
So I did my pre-op diet and lost the weight I was supposed to.  Now I have to keep it off until the 10th of May and I have been eating my face off for the last 3 days.  I know I have to stay on track, but I feel like it's my "last hoorah" with food.  Is this normal???
momjan
on 4/22/12 11:47 pm - Canada
Yes.....
fireflymkz76
on 4/23/12 12:31 am - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12
I am sure it is normal.  All I can recommend is trying to do something else to take your mind off of food.  I have to do a liquid diet for 4 weeks before my surgery and am not looking forward to it!
Larry Wassmann
on 4/23/12 12:32 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
 You want to lose as much as you can before surgery. You must shrink your liver so the surgery goes better. My Dr. said "NO LAST MEALS". I have 3 weeks to go and have lost 28 lbs so far and hope to lose more. I would not want to make my goals farther away by gaining anything more. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

gods_girl67
on 4/23/12 12:57 am - Wasaga Beach, Canada
RNY on 03/27/12
Totally normal. And it sounds like you are eating your anxiety---I totally get it, I am an emotional eater too. I took up knitting and I only chose my most favorite foods to eat one last time. I was ready for my Optifast when it came time as I was sick of food and the focus on food by then...

referral: aug 2011; general orientation: Sept 26, 2011; surgeon appt: Oct 5, 2011;
GB Class: Oct 18, 2011; SW & RN: Oct 20, 2011; Dietitian: Nov 14, 2011;
Dietitian: Jan 9, 2012; Surgeon appt: Feb 2, 2012; Optifast start: Mar 6, 2012
Surgery Date: Mar 27, 2012
Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/23/12 12:58 am - Baltimore, MD
Well consider this thought. If you gain a lot of weight your surgeon may postpone your surgery. So if you had to do a pre-op diet, I say indulge but within reason. You don't want to put your hard work at risk!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

aaaaaaa
on 4/23/12 1:13 am
 I think we all understand the feeling, but let me put it in a different perspective for you;

It IS NOT your "last hoorah" with food!!   Not by a long shot.  You will eventually be able to eat many/most of the foods you like now...just in more reasonable portions.  

In fact, the trick is to try to use these days, and the period of time after surgery to readjust your MIND to eating healthier, because your body WILL eventually readjust to a point, and you will  need to be careful not to go back to bad eating habits. 

So.... don't feel you'll be deprived of the foods you love forever.....but use this time to get your head "right" so you'll be successful in the years to come!! :D

Lisa T.
on 4/23/12 3:32 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12
My NUT said it would be okay to indulge in one favorite meal close to my surgery date.  She said the key was to have one meal instead of meals.  I've been following the pre-op diet since my first NUT visit (eventhough we didn't have to).  Sometimes when we've gone out, I've thought, "oh this is the last time I will have x again."  Then I have to rethink - it probably isn't the last time, but the next time will be drastically different.  When we went to Fogo de Chao for our anniversary dinner Saturday.  I definately noticed a change in the volume of food I consumed. 

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12   

Skoonie
on 4/23/12 4:10 am - Van Wert, OH
RNY on 01/31/12 with
I would totally recommend that you skip the last hoorah I stuck to my pre-op diet to the t and almost couldn't have surgery because my liver was very fatty the only thing that saved me and made my surgeon to go ahead was the fact that I stuck to the plan and lost that extra few pounds. Its just not worth possibly causing a delay in your surgery. Good Luck

mmeadows
on 4/24/12 1:23 pm - OH
RNY on 05/22/12
Well, I don't have to lose any weight for surgery but I do have to do a 2 week pre-op diet to shrink my liver. Until then I have been of the "last supper" mindset. I don't overindulge every day, but I have been making it a point to go to certain places that I don't think I'll be able to eat from post-surgery. One example is chinese food, being that there are very few chinese food dishes that are actually healthy. So yeah, I'd say that what you're going through is perfectly normal, although if you have to keep some weight off you'd be better off sticking to the surgeon's directions.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 68 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 68 views