anti-depressants

swampwoman
on 4/25/12 4:45 am - Hampton, NJ
Has anyone stopped their anti depressants after surgery?
  Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!                          
Eliza55
on 4/25/12 4:49 am - PA
The first 6-12 months post surgery can be a real rollercoaster emotionally.  I personally would not jump in to stopping the antidepressant just because of surgery.  You may need to alter your dose, because of absorption.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

poet_kelly
on 4/25/12 4:49 am - OH
I didn't.  Why would you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

swampwoman
on 4/25/12 4:52 am - Hampton, NJ
I was just wondering if anyone felt that alot of their depression came from OBESITY related subjects.  I am by no means ready to stop.  I know I have some other issues.  Just wondering if eventually, someday, I might be able to.
poet_kelly
on 4/25/12 4:57 am - OH
you might be able to, but you might be able to even if you didn't have WLS.  I think that in most cases, losing weight does not cure depression.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

swampwoman
on 4/25/12 4:59 am - Hampton, NJ
Thanks Kelly.  I really look forward to all of your posts.
Jennifer M.
on 4/25/12 6:15 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 I did stop my antidepressant, but I do still take an anti-anxiety.  My anti-depressant was a time release medication, and those are  not consistent with RNY.  

I did get a prescription for the non-time release version, but I was throwing up my pills so often in the beginning, that I needed to stop them entirely for a while.  Now, I could tolerate the pills, but I'm not sure I need them.  I feel fine... a little estrogen-y and anxious, but nothing like the depression I used to have.

However, I should point out that between the time I was precribed antidepressants and my weight loss surgery, I did have a hysterectomy.  I think my depression was more linked with the excess levels of estrogen in my blood due to endometriosis than anything else.  

I THINK I'm going to try to continue without antidepressants for the time being, although I will continue to use my ativan to manage my anxiety.  

swampwoman
on 4/25/12 6:21 am - Hampton, NJ
Thank you for sharing, Jennifer.  If I ever stop them, I know I will need something for anxiety also.
I take so many pills, I was just wondering...