Meats?

Trianni
on 4/27/12 10:53 pm - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12
According to the doctor's timeline I should be able to eat meats now but whenever I do it all comes back up. I can't decide if its because I shouldn't be eating them yet or if its because I'm not preparing them correctly. It's all very frustrating. The nurse keeps reminding me that the timeline they gave me is very general and not specific to my recovery at all. Guess I'll go back to eating soft solids for a while then try again.
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/12 10:59 pm - waukesha, WI
I could not eat chicken and other meat at 3 weeks out.  Stick to fish, tuna, ground meat like hambuger.  I ate a lot of salmon that early out.  Try other meats in a few weeks. 
karianne
on 4/27/12 11:22 pm, edited 4/27/12 11:40 pm - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
LOW AND SLOW IS KEY!!

Cook the meat in a crock pot or slow cook in the oven or stove top! I've had beefstew, turkey sausage and ricotta giardinier, shredded chicken, ham, chilis with ground beef etc. The huge difference is cooking with meat on the bone! Do not get boneless chicken or beef it's does not keep moisture and easily overcooks. I've been enjoying soft fish backed in a foil pouch with soft veggies! I feel like I am eating 3 pretty balanced meals a day with maybe a snack of a cheese stick here and there! I feel great and the weight is melting off!

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

dasie
on 4/28/12 12:01 am
I could not eat meat until about one year.  I'd rarely eat it here  and there because  it gave me too many problems It felt horrible in my pouch each and every time.   I went from being an almost exclusive meat eater pre surgery to an almost non meat eater post surgery.  Our bodies adjust at differing rates.  Like your nurse said, mine also  said the plan they give us is a general timeline.  Some progress more rapidly than others.  My nurse said if something does not work, leave it alone and try again at a later date. 

Jennifer M.
on 4/28/12 12:34 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 Buy extremely good quality meat at the butcher and slow cook it.   Tender and juicy is the key.  

If you want a burger or a steak, AVOID well done meats.  You really need your meats to be juicy.  

slashes
on 4/28/12 12:48 am
I think I have been very lucky - I have not had any problems with meats at all, but I have heard the same said as above. Make sure your chicken is moist, your red meats not overdone or chewy. Spend the extra money for good cuts - it makes all the difference. Cut small pieces and chew chew chew.
If you do not agree with any just yet - just wait and try again at a later date - good luck !!!

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

Mary Catherine
on 4/28/12 1:08 am
 It took about three months before I could eat meat.  I was allowed, but my stomach did not agree.  My first meat that stayed down was a wonderful tiny and cooked rare filet from my favorite restaurant.  I still eat very little meat, but do eat it very moist and in very small amounts and very small bites.  Give yourself time.  There is absolutely nothing that I cannot eat now, if I want it.
Scaura
on 4/28/12 3:32 am - Fort Collins, CO
Try some different meats too besides the staples.  I got Ground Bison and Ground Lamb last night.  Extra Lean Ground Beef just feels greasy and heavy right now.  Canned chicken works but broiled chicken breast hurts like nothing else!  Cheese chicken breast shredded in the crock work for me as does crock pot turkey.  I am not a huge fish fan but am adding it in as I can.  I am starting with the mild white flesh fish and if those go well, I will move on to some of the red meat fish.  I have come to like extra firm tofu since it picks up the flavor of whatever is with it so cooked in chicken or adding it to cheesy chicken works well.

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics