Long timers, looking for some new recipes that are good for me that my family can eat as...

brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 4/30/12 6:18 am
I would love if anyone would be willing to share some recipes. I'm getting burnt out, and tired of sometimes having to cook two separate dinners.

I have a 3 year old who is not a picky eater what so ever, occasionally she'll refuse meat,  but she never passes on her veggies. My husband on the other hand requires alot more than I do. He is far from having any weight issues and requires more carb in his diet than I do.  

What are some things that you prepare as a family meal?

Thank you all in advance.
♥Pam♥
RNY  8/16/06  Starting weight 262 / Current weight 152
ORIGINAL GOAL 160/ NEW GOAL 140   
poet_kelly
on 4/30/12 6:21 am - OH
You could just cook a meat with veggies and a starch like rice or bread for sides.  Hubby can eat the starch, you can pass on it, and if your daughter doesn't want the meat she can still have the veggies and starch.

I make chili a lot.  You could also make cornbread or something on the side for hubby and daughter.  My favorite chili recipe is:

White Chili

2 bags Morningstar Farms fake chicken, cut into small pieces
one onion, diced
one red bell pepper, diced
one can (4 oz) diced green chilies
one cup salsa (I use medium but you can use hot if you prefer; I just buy the store brand)
three cans vegetable broth
three cans Great Northern beans
one tablespoon minced garlic
cumin
garlic powder
onion powder

In a big pot, sauté the garlic, onion and diced red pepper in a little olive oil until slightly soft.  Add the chicken and sprinkle liberally with cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder.  Stir and cook for a couple minutes.  Add the broth, beans, green chilies and salsa.  Stir.  Add ½ teaspoon of cumin, ¼ teaspoon of onion powder and ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder (or more if you want it spicier).  Stir.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.

You could use real chicken instead of the Morningstar stuff if you prefer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 5/8/12 5:06 am
I checked my pantry and have everything on hand for this, so I'm trying it tonight :) I'll be using chicken breast though. Thank you for sharing this!
♥Pam♥
Day_dream_believer
on 4/30/12 6:43 am, edited 4/30/12 6:44 am
I feed my family the same things I eat.  I usually add some rice or rolls and extra veggies for them.  I also will sometimes add some fresh fruit.

Taco Soup
1 lb of ground beef (or turkey)
1 large onion
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of corn
1 can of stewed tomato
1 can of rotel tomato
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg of ranch dressing
2 1/2 cups of water

Brown onion in dutch oven.  Add ground beef.  Add other ingredients.  Simmer for one hour.
I make corn bread and add a  fruit for my family to eat with it.  You might want to substitute regular tomatoes for the rotel if your daughter doesn't like spicy food.

Other family  meals
I did turkey meatballs and mashed potatoes the other night.  I added some green veggies.   It was easy and the family loved it.
Grilled shrimp,(or saute it in olive oil and garlic), green beans or salad, crusty bread, pasta and fruit
Rice bowl with brown rice, cut up chicken, low fat cheese, broccoli, Worcestershire sauce, and almonds
Taco rice with taco meat, lettuce, tomato,pinto beans, olives,low fat  cheese and low fat sr cream on top of a bed of rice.  You can leave out the rice and make it a taco salad. 

Melody D.
on 4/30/12 7:16 am - Pueblo, CO
 Do u chop the onions, dice them, or have onion slivers?
Panniculectomy & Mastopexy (Breast Reduction & Lift)- 1/3/12
Upper Thigh Lift & Upper Arm Lift- 3/13/12
HW-290,
SW-288, GW-127, CW-111

Day_dream_believer
on 4/30/12 7:30 am
chop

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/30/12 7:21 am - Baltimore, MD
 A few suggestions:

This is my Americanized/WLS-friend version of sausage and peppers:

It transforms into a non-op meal by putting it on some French bread:

Here's the recipe:  http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/04/niks-sausage-ext ravaganza.html 

Taco Casserole is also a favorite (except with my oldest daughter...who is weird). Pair this with some whole grain tortilla chips and it's a non-op winner! For you, simply top with greek yogurt and salsa

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/09/taco-casserole.h tml 

Finally, I suggest Mexican lasagna. This is an idea I got from Rachel Ray but I had to make some tweaks to make it  not...um...heart attack inducing.

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/05/oh-em-jeebus-thi s-is-good.html 

It's got enough fiber to justify you eating the carbs and if not you can simply eat between the layers.

Hope these help!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

rainbowconnection
on 4/30/12 8:00 am - houston, TX
I assume your child is a "dipper" like most.  My new favorite dip is:

Greek Yogurt Ranch
1 personal size plain greek yogurt mixed with half pack of dry ranch dressing mix

Greek Yogurt Honey Mustard
1 personal size honey greek yogurt mixed with mustard
      you can add more honey, truvia or mustard to get the right mix or thinner with a bit of water

I also really like the carrots that are cut into little coin size with ridges.

You can also do a layer dip with the ranch.  Like half a bellpepper with hummus and ranch on top.
brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 5/7/12 12:23 am
Thank you! We love Ranch dressing in our house, and your right my daughter is a "dipper" she loves to dip carrot sticks and fresh broccoli especially. What a great idea, and with the added protein for me!  I usually find myself avoiding the salad dressing and opting for vinegar instead, I'm excited to try this
♥Pam♥
slashes
on 4/30/12 8:37 am
Wow I am drooling over all of the above...

I have some recipes on my blog, but my family favorite is this Salisbury Steak, totally delish and high protein - BONUS !!

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics