Let Me Hear It!!!

jojo3283
on 5/2/12 2:27 am - OK
So what do i do.... have gone to the gas station (more than once) and gotten a bag of doritos n bag of m&m's.  Granted i dont eat it all in 1 day usually takes about 4-5days  to finish both have them as a snack. But everything else that I eat is protien and healthy food. This is the bad thing that I have started. Am i ruining this ???? I'm 8months out down 130lbs.

Doing this for ME !!!                 
      Highest Weight 260 / Surgery Weight 235 /  My Goal 160 / Dr Goal 135                  

dasie
on 5/2/12 2:43 am
You have not ruined anything.  The danger is the habit, routine of allowing yourself to eat those day after day.  Even though your other choices are good, it is the routine of eating this stuff that caused us to become obese in the first place. 

I talked with my surgeon about this same topic last Nov. at my 2 year appointment.  He reminded me it is not the occasional items we eat here and there that cause us to regain.  He said it is when we begin to eat these foods regularly ...that is what causes us to regain our weight.  For me, old habits are hard to break.  What I started doing is when I seem to "have " to have something sweet, I buy it, eat it one night and send the rest with my husband in his lunch, the guys love this,  the next day.  I know if I don't, I will eat the whole bag...whatever the case may be.

I could tell you what you may want to hear, but I'm telling you what I hope someone would tell me if this was my post....you do not want to develop a bad habit,,,so stop it now before it registers on the scale.

happy_baker
on 5/2/12 2:53 am
RNY on 02/15/12
When I'm debating on whether a habit is as bad as I think it might be, or if I'm trying to justify something, I like to crunch numbers.

There are about 240 calories in a bag of M&Ms.
There are 140 calories in a Doritos snack bag
Together, that's about 380 calories for both.

If you eat both within a 5 day span, and you do this regularly, you could be consuming 28,500 calories over the course of a year, which averages to 8 lbs.

8 lbs over the span of a year doesn't sound like much, I know, but in a process of maintaining your weight loss (congrats, by the way!), it certainly doesn't help.

Now, in fairness, I'm no advocate of "You can't eat junk food EVER!" That doesn't jive with me. I'm much more in the park of "Everything in moderation."

I don't think, personally, that there's anything wrong with a handful of M&Ms or Doritos for an occasional treat, but like Dasie said above, I would be worried about it becoming a habit, which could lead to an unraveling of all the good habits you've been installing since your RnY.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/2/12 2:57 am
Slipery slope... it starts with a little...
I do have a few doritos from my BF bag when he eats them.  But I try not make that a habit. It looks like you make it a habbit.  Once in a while - I do not see a problem..

Why do you bu them at the gas station?  portion control? - that may be OK
habbits? - becasue you are there?  
cravings (NOT GOOD) -= that eventually may lead to buying more and eating more...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jonelle32514
on 5/2/12 3:25 am - Pensacola, FL
Congrats on the weightloss!!!!  As far as ruining anything, I doubt it.  I eat candy every day.  I didn't get big because I avoided it, I got big because I didn't have any portion control and I would binge on chocolate.  To prevent that from happening, I will eat what I crave.  If I want that king size reese cup, I will buy it.  I will eat half now and shove the other half in the freezer.  If I deprived myself of it I would eat the whole thing in one sitting and then want another one.  When I was in the process of losing, I would break a stall with a snickers bar.  You aren't on a diet, you have modified the way you eat.  It is good that you do have portion control, a treat every now and then is good for you and even your doctor will tell you that chocolate is good for you.  Keep up the good work, you will be a reach goal soon!!

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

jojo3283
on 5/2/12 5:21 am - OK
Thank you all for the replies... this helps me.. I think that it may be more of a habit but also a craving since it really only occurs right before menstral cycle starts. So i will def work on this I think overall i will be ok but def something to think about as well.

Doing this for ME !!!                 
      Highest Weight 260 / Surgery Weight 235 /  My Goal 160 / Dr Goal 135