Sugar Alcohols

Trianni
on 5/3/12 11:33 am - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12
Someone offered me a sugar-free ice cream bar tonight but I didn't accept it because it had 2g sugar and 6g sugar alcohols. I know that sugar alcohols can cause dumping just like sugar but I didn't know if that means any amount of sugar alcohols or only amounts over a certain limit. Can someone please clarify this for me?
lynnc99
on 5/3/12 12:22 pm

Sugar alcohols can cause reactions for many of us - not dumping exactly, but their own "special brand" of difficulties.

Things like a laxative effect. Extreme bloating and gas. Abdominal discomfort in general. Queasiness.

Yeah, not fun. Watch for ingredients like maltitol, xylitol, and erithrotol. Some of us are more sensitive than others...but beware that sometimes the side effects don't hit immediately. I've found myself suffering for the whole next day after unwise choices.

IrishIze
on 5/3/12 1:35 pm - NJ
I am very sensitive to sugar alcohols.  Not dumping, but excessive and STINKY gas that lasts for hours on end!  I really try not to eat anything with more than 6 or 7g of sugar alcohols.
Irish......  

BugdocMom
on 5/3/12 5:10 pm - CA
The amount of sugars and sugar alcohols each person can tolerate without dumping or other adverse symptoms is very individual. It may also change as you get further post op. Soon after surgery, I couldn't tolerate either at all, even just a couple of grams. Now, I can eat up to 4 to 6 grams of sugar alcohols in a meal without really bad effects. But I do get noticeable gas on that amount.
Most Active
Recent Topics