Going Backwards

Trianni
on 5/13/12 12:07 pm - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12
Had to call the surgeon's nurse Friday morning for advice on my "going backwards" in my recovery. They put me on ulcer medication with the thought that I was suffering from an irritated pouch. If the med doesn't work then they'll have me in for an upper GI scoping. In the meanwhile I'm back on soft solids and have been told to increase my protein shakes again. It's being frustrating not being further along than I am, but that's the way I am. Always in a hurry. I think I probably irritated my pouch by pushing ahead with the projected timeline instead of my own "gut feeling." And I'm still having problems with eating slow, too. There are some valuable lessons to be learned if I would just learn them.
Neaucora
on 5/13/12 12:17 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
 Right there with ya!!! They already did my upper GI and bowel check. I hate drinking that stuff, nasty nasty nasty.I think what started it,  I cooked a turkey, and took a couple of bites. Even though I chewed it to a paste, my pouch was very very mad with me. I think the turkey balled up and blocked the stoma. I was in such severe pain my husband drove me 90 miles an hour (60 miles) to the DR office after throwing up and dry heaving all night and the next morning till the office opened. I got put back on clear liquids, then full liquids. And it still hurts to just drink. every time I swallow it hurts. Sometimes I burp and that helps. But its very frustrating and makes me wonder if I will ever be able to eat anything without pain again. I am so sick of cottage cheese, yogurt and jello. Am waiting on some protien soups, and drink mix from bariatric pantry. I can no longer tolerate the protein shakes. Tried milk, and water, just cant handle the protein shake stuff. ugh.  so very frustrating. So I am like 2 weeks behind now. And yes, I am learning my lessons too. Eating slow is the hardest. I am getting better because of the pain. But still, its hard. 

april89love
on 5/13/12 12:20 pm - NC
I couldn't do turkey until about 9 months out. I don't know what it was about it, but it made me sick. Listen to your gut! I can tell after the first bite or two if it is gonna work or not.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Mary Catherine
on 5/15/12 1:00 am
 Even though you look fine on the outside the inside of your stomach and intestines are like a big sore.  Think about if you had a big sore on your hand. You would be carefully treating it with cool or warm water and very careful not to irritate it or pour dirt into it.  When you are trying to eat right now it is like pouring sand and dirt into an open wound.  You have to treat your new baby stomach even more carefully you would treat a new born baby.

You would not feed your week old baby turkey, even if it were chewed to a pulp.  You would just use warm milk and cool water until baby's stomach grew enough to handle solid food.  And your insides with all of the cutting and stapling that was done are much more tender and sensitive than the stomach of a new born.