Over It!

Trianni
on 5/25/12 10:50 am - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12
Throwing up again. Tonight I decided to try a strip of shaved ham, not even a quarter of a slice, instead of cheese to see if I could tolerate it again. I can't and I am SOOOOOO over this! On Wednesday I attended the Nutrition Q & A meeting at my surgeon's office and told them that I was still having problems with protein except for dairy. I can eat dairy with no problems but let me try any meat, or sometimes even eggs, and I'm hanging over the closest garbage can. I've proven that it doesn't matter how much or how little I eat and I've used every trick in the book to make sure I am eating slowly, but all my efforts are to no avail. The nurse and nutritionist who facilitated the meeting were very concerned by my continued problems. They're afraid that I'm not getting enough protein or having any of my nutrition needs met. They sent me home with a canister of unflavored protein powder with instructions to add it to EVERYTHING I eat. I just don't know what else to do. If I threw everything up we would suspect a stricture but as I said I can eat dairy, as well as canned green beans, canned carrots, applesauce, and melon, and my protein shakes and water stay down with no problem. It's all so very frustrating!

Anyway, just needed to vent to someone who might understand what I'm going through. The family cookout is tomorrow and it looks like I'll be eating string cheese while everyone else has grilled meat. Oh well.

Hope everyone else is having a better night that I'm having.

Rebecca
Scaura
on 5/25/12 10:57 am - Fort Collins, CO
 Have you tried extra firm tofu?  It has no flavor so add anything you like to it, grill, and yummy!  I thought tofu was a little too granola for me at first, but I am really liking it very much.  Good protein too.

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

poet_kelly
on 5/25/12 11:26 am - OH
I don't eat any meat.  How about other sources of protein in addition to dairy?  Can you tolerate beans?  Tofu?  Veggie burgers?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Hollie313
on 5/25/12 11:36 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
Have you tried tuna fish?

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/25/12 12:17 pm - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 At your cookout, grill some zucchini, eggplant, portobello mushrooms, or other veges.
You might try vegetarian meat substitutes like Gardenburgers and vegetarian hot dogs. They grill nicely.
Trianni
on 5/25/12 12:26 pm - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12
Thank you all for responding to my post.

I haven't tried tofu. Years ago someone fixed me a tofu chocolate pie and it was so horrible that I've stayed away from tofu ever since. I have tried tuna fi**** made me violently ill. The nurse at the meeting suggested that I pick up a bag of Pict Sweet edamome (sp?) steamables. I did but forgot I had it. I have another can of refried beans in the cupboard but, frankly, I'm sick to death of them! I guess you can tell that I'm pretty moody tonight! I seem to have a bad case of the "I do'wannas." Tomorrow I'll try either the edamome or open up that can of refried beans or both. Tonight I'm not even going to be able to take my meds. My pouch is just too irritated. It is really angry with me!! If I'm still throwing up in the morning I think I'll go in to the ER and have them check me out.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Rebecca
wendydettmer
on 5/25/12 12:27 pm - Rochester, NY
if you can do dairy i would do the greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. They are protein rich and can help. when i was eating meat post op, canned chicken sat the best, mixed with bbq sauce and sour cream so it was nice and moist.

but your pouch just may need more time.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Kaoz789
on 5/25/12 12:33 pm
 5 months out here. I can't eat most meats either. I use one protein drink, yogurt and veggie options for my protein. Beans rock. Chilli is the bomb. And tofu in broths are a nice treat. 

I refuse to eat fish (mental hang up) but maybe you should try tossing a few lightly seasoned shrimps on the Barbie?  

I find red meats, pork, eggs and anything processed will induce vomiting faster than anything else. And chicken has to be eaten at the end of the day, never the beginning. 

Try hummus on a wheat thin?  Bruschetta with Parmesan cheese on a cracker? Thai ground turkey?

It'll get better. You may never eat pork again, but it will get easier.

Gail S.
on 5/25/12 9:20 pm - New York, NY
I couldn't eat any meat for a loong time after surgery. Now, two years out, I usually stay away from most meat except for very soft meats like deli meat, very moist chicken and ground beef/ground turkey. I've always been able to get my protein in with shakes, bars, cheese and beans. I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Unfortunately, many of us have foods we can't tolerate after surgery - and may never be able to.To me the trade-off is worth it. I really hope you feel better soon!

jkjstars123
on 5/25/12 10:43 pm - Tama, IA
Doe the protein things that you can eat and make sure you do the protein drinks. Then at a later date try more meats. I had a lot of problems with meat at first and still do at times. Make sure you are eating small bites and chew and chew. Don't overdo it.
If you can eat other things I don't think it is a stricture (I had 5 of them so I know how it feels to throw up all the time). Hang in there it will get better

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

Most Active
Recent Topics