leg num

seneicus
on 5/26/12 11:36 am - cordele, GA
my inter legs are num. i called the doctor they said it might be water retention. aybody had this problem.
littleskie
on 5/26/12 12:40 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
Many years go I was in the hospital for migraines. While there I developed a numb spot on my thigh. When the neurologist came in I told her. She looked at me like I was annoying and said "It's because your fat. If you could put the fork down you wouldn't have any of these problems."

I felt so bad I never went to a neurologist again. I live in a small-ish town and she was the only neuro. I actually was so upset with how I was treated I checked myself out against medical advice.

I mean there is no way my migraines were from being fat. I did later find out from my pcp that my weight could have caused the thigh to go numb. It could have been from the fat pushing on the bones which in turn probably pinched the nerve. She should have tested but just looked at me and was disgusted so she put forth no effort to help me.

I'm stronger now! You are strong too! You can see a doctor and demand polite treatment. You don't want to end up living in pain and discomfort like I did. So call your doctor and set up an appointment. See what is going on in there.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

rbb825
on 5/28/12 5:36 pm - Suffern, NY
I have a few questions - inner legs are a strange place for numbness - we usually post op get numbness and tingling in the hands, fingers, arms, legs, feet  and toes but  I have never heard of inner legs but it is possible.

How far out are you?  Do you take Vitamin B12?  Is it sublingual?  If so, how much?  Do you know your B12 level on your last blood tests? Do you take B12 injections? If so, how often??  You basically want your B12 level to be atleast 1200-1800 and can even be higher - high B12 levels are fine, even good, you just pee out what you dont need but low levels are very dangerous - below 500 can put you at risk for nerve damage and cognitive problems if the deficiency is left for too long.  the minimum dose to start off with after surgery is 1000mcg daily of sublingual B12 or a monthly injection and then almost everyone needs to increase to a higher dose of sublinguals or take the injections more often.  Some do a combination of the 2.

Some people have problems with numbness from B1 deficiency - same symptoms as B12 - you need to take 100mg of B1 daily from the start.  Once diagnose with B1 deficiency - you need to take between 200-300mg daily depending on the person.  B1 levels you want at the top of the level or over the top.  If it is at the lower end or below, you are at risk for damage.

A deficiency but it can happen with RNY is copper.  This can also cause neuropathy.  What multi do
you take?? Does it have copper??  By the way on a separate point - it should also have selenium because this is also a common deficiency in people who take multi's without it. You might want to get that checked to, many doctors dont check it.

I would recommend getting your B12, B1 and copper levels checked.

Here is the big question that many people dont think about - do you have any back problems???  Do you have any hip pain??  I was having terrible hip pain and numbness in my leg( I never mentioned the numbness - just the hip pain and figured it was just my arthritis). It wasn't until I started gettting terrible pain radiating down my leg that my pain management doctor sent me for an MRI and found I had a severely herniated disc crushing the nerve root.  Thank goodness we found it because the pain down the leg was unbearable.  I got an epidural and it is alot better  - not totally but alot.  I have good days when i dont feel it and days when I wake up and can hardly get out of bed from the pain down my leg.  I may go for a 2nd injection but so far the good days far outway the bad ones.

Look into these ideas and maybe something will turn out.  If you have any more questions, feel free to write.

Most Active
Recent Topics