Latter-Day Saints out there - fasting?

kathyshrinks
on 5/29/12 6:47 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
So, I am four months out and wondering if I can fast.  I haven't tried it yet, but this Sunday will be Fast Sunday, and I was wondering if anyone else who is LDS fasts, or if we aren't really supposed to now.  If you do, when did you start?  Meant to ask my surgeon for his advice at my 3-month check, but I forgot.  I still have trouble getting all my fluids, so I was thinking about modifying my fast to food only, and maybe 18 hours instead of 24.

For those of you who have no clue what I am talking about, Latter-DaySaints (Mormons) fast for 24 hours (no food, no liquids) once a month and donate the money that would have been spent on food to local people in need.  But we are only supposed to fast if our health permits - diabetics, for example, are not encouraged to fast.

Hollie313
on 5/29/12 6:50 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
I am not LDS, but I know there are some people on here.  However,
thank you for sharing what the fasting is all about.  I wondered, but
didn't want to ask.  I think that is a very noble idea to give it to people
in need.  =)

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

poet_kelly
on 5/29/12 6:53 am - OH
Fasting is a practice done by people of many faiths, not just LDS.  Personally, I think fasting without even water is kind of dangerous and wouldn't do it.  I am pagan and used to fast before rituals, typically for 24 hours, but I drank water.  Now that I have reactive hypoglycemia, I would not fast, but I might give up certain foods or eat only limited amounts in preparation for rituals.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/29/12 7:08 am

If you are in good health, have no problem with taking daily proteins and have done that for a while - together with vitamins and minerals - I would say go for it.
But if you dealing with sugar - high and  low, or not getting enough water - fluids daily  or vitamins - then you may consider modified fast - i.e. clear liquids  + vitamins and minerals.    Just bare minimum. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/29/12 7:09 am - Baltimore, MD
I would contact your church (temple?) and ask what modifications they do for diabetics. I'm sure they can't go so long without food/liquids so I'd think there is some sort of modified way to do it?

Let us know when you find out! I'm curious now.
jennalynngay
on 5/29/12 8:08 am - Cedar City, UT
RNY on 02/15/12
I am LDS! Its good to meet another member on here :) Congrats on your surgery! 24 hour fast? We do 2 meals. How strict is your stake on that? lol. I am in Utah, but I was in Bama before and it was the same there. What I do, is because our meals are very small I will maybe skip real food and just drink liquids. We are limited with the surgery. I talked to my bishop and we agreed that would work, I also asked my surgeon who is also LDS (and his entire staff.. I DO live in Provo haha!) and they said that should work but if I feel light headed at all to eat something. But I will grab a protein drink for a fast, it works well. IDK if we will ever get to the point that we can fast like everyone else again.. even if it is for 2 meals only. 
Life is a canvas.. and I am trying to make a masterpiece.

Weight loss since I moved to Utah.   

d_mac682
on 5/29/12 8:59 am - Gilbert, AZ
RNY on 04/26/12
I am LDS as well and have been wondering the same thing. I would imagine your intent to do it is as great as actually doing it. I think the Lord would understand your purpose of heart and accept what you could do and what you would be willing to do. As others have said, this is not just for our faith but could apply to many. Good luck!

wendydettmer
on 5/29/12 9:02 am - Rochester, NY
I am not LDS, but have had to modify some fasts. I don't know if i could do it or not right now but refuse to risk it. Maybe in a year or so I can take a re look. I wouldn't do it without dr's approval.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 156 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views