OT - I think my kitty's cancer is back

swampwoman
on 6/12/12 3:19 am - Hampton, NJ
Kelly
Sure hope it turns out well today. Good luck. Cayenne is lucky to have such a special person to take care of her.
Zeigled
on 6/12/12 4:44 am - Parkton, MD
This SUCKS - I've had 2 pass from cancer too.  Oddly one was diabetic too - I wonder if there's a correlation.  Another reason she might not want to jump is stretching the tumor.  Maybe it's uncomfortable.  So sorry to hear the news.
HW 357 SW 341   

Ladytazz
on 6/12/12 5:26 am
I am so sorry.  My dog, Tazzie, had breast cancer a few months back so I know how difficult that is.  I live with that worry, too.  She is 11 and I have already decided that if it comes back I won't treat it except to make sure she is comfortable.  I just went through this with JJ, my boy dog who just died at 12.  It is so hard to let them go but I know they can't live forever.  It wasn't until I lost him that I realized how high maintenance he was with the medicine and vet visits and making sure he ate not to mention the anxiety of worrying about what and when it would happen.  He had congestive heart failure so I knew it was a matter of time so I spent as much time as possible holding him and babying him and I turned him into a big spoiled baby who woke me up at night to let him under my covers to cuddle and demanded to be picked up and taken into the bed even though I had steps for him and he was perfectly capable of getting in bed by himself and I loved every minute of spoiling him.  I was so grateful that I didn't have to make the decision to put him down.  I know I could never have done that so I was relieved that he just went to sleep and didn't wake up.  He went as peacefully and painlessly as I could have hoped and lived a life of luxury and love.
I also wanted to tell you that I got two new kittens to fill the void and I decided to call the boy Larry and then I saw that you had a cat named Larry.  I thought that was funny since you don't hear about too many cats named Larry.  I had a cat years ago that I called Larry because I had a friend who always talked about her boyfriend whose name was Larry but I never met him so I decided to call my cat Larry after the elusive Larry the boyfriend.  My girl is named Ruby.  I guess I like people names for cats.
I sure hope your kitty will be ok and it is something minor and easy to treat.  Let us know as soon as you are able.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 6/12/12 6:22 am - OH
That is funny you have a kitty named Larry.  I don't know why ours is named Larry, he just looked like a Larry to me.  He literally moved himself into our house.  He showed up one day, don't know where he came from.  We live in a mobile home, and he got under the house, into the heating vents, and let himself into the living room through the vent in the floor.  At first we couldn't figure out how he kept getting in.  Then we finally figured it out and fixed the vent so no other critters can let themselves in.  He was so persistent, we finally had to let him live here.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladytazz
on 6/12/12 7:23 am
I've had boyfriends like that.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

debbie0321
on 6/12/12 8:21 am - Cincinnati, OH
RNY on 08/06/12
I'm so sorry to hear that one of your babies is sick. I've lost a couple of pets in the last couple of years. I also lost my Dad. Honestly, my pets left a bigger hole in my heart. I guess it makes since - they are there for us all of the time. One of my three cats that I have now tries to comfort me if I cry, have a stomach ache, headache or whatever. He's wonderful! My Dad, well, later on that one.

Anyways, I'm sending positive thoughts your way. Cayenne is lucky in that you are a loving Mom.
poet_kelly
on 6/12/12 9:08 am - OH
Honestly, the loss of my kitty would be more difficult for me than the loss of most family members.  She is there for me all the time and she's been more loving and supportive than my family has.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

VintageChick
on 6/12/12 9:56 am
Hugs to you from a sister cat-lover.  Purrs just make the day go better!!!

Mine is 15 years old, and I dread the day.....  Sorry you're going through this now.
FleurDeLis
on 6/12/12 11:29 am
My hear sank when I read this. You must have been dreading this day.

I lost one to breast cancer a month after she was diagnosed but she was almost 18 and it was already in her lungs. Having lost two to lymphoma I knew what fluid on the lungs and respiratory distress looked like. That was my first clue.

A few months later our other girl had a really huge mass (3" across) and we thought at first it was the same thing. But I decided to at least get it biopsied and the vet was suspicious since it was just a little off to be a mammary tumor. It was an abscess from a fight she didn't tell us about. We lost her to kidney disease last year instead.

The we lost our boy to heart disease 6 weeks ago. It never gets easier. Take lots of pictures. I used to sing two songs to the recently dearly departed all the time and I was able to sing them to him before we had him put to sleep. It made him feel much better and I felt much better about it too. He was a good boy. He needed medicine three times a day and always came to get his pills when I called him.

Once you get the house cleaned up after this is all over--which will be a great way to work on your grief and throw your back out--any new kitty hopefully won't smell anything and get the idea to pick up any bad habits.

It took me three years to get another big orange cat to replace Big Ed (Edgrrr; we called him Eddie, our smaller female called him Grrr) and I ended up getting two. Somewhere these is a foster mom out there who knows the personality of her foster cats and can be on the lookout for jut the right one when the time is right.

In the meantime, it might be a cyst or an abscess. If not, put her first no matter how hard it is on you. Remember cats hide illness so she can be sicker than she lets on. We will be here for you.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 286 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views