Currently hating my decision...

HoneyBee0985
on 6/14/12 11:01 am - IL
I had my Roux en Y on the 6th.  I am not happy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I'm losing weight.  Including the 5 day clear liquid diet before surgery, I've lost a total of 28lbs so far.

I just want my life back.  I want to go back to work.  I'm tired of being nauseated all the time.  I literally can't have more than 3 sips of water without being nauseated.  Heaven forbid I have 4.  I know I'm going to dehydrate, and I'm really trying.  But even on Zofran, the nausea is unrelenting.

I want to be able to pick up my 2.5 year old son who so desperately wants his Mommy back.

Someone please tell me it gets better... soon...
channel61
on 6/14/12 11:06 am - NH
RNY on 05/02/12
I only get nausea when I eat something disagreeable or too fast.  Have you tried propel, sobe or vitamin water?  I had a hard time with regular water at first and I could really stand it too cold.

HoneyBee0985
on 6/14/12 11:09 am - IL

Ice is pretty much the only thing that consistently sits well with me.  I tried creamed soups, no go.  Yogurt is fine, but how much yogurt can someone eat without growing tired of it?  Pudding is ok only if it's vanilla.  Jell-O won't even stay down.  I haven't tried any of those, I'll have to try it.  Suddenly being lactose intolerant is upsetting.  I've tried a few lactose free milks that I'm not crazy about, but I guess I'll have to get use to it.

Mhollawaymt
on 6/14/12 11:09 am
 It gets better give yourself time to heal.    I had problems with nausea and I had to take zofran and I added an antacid.   That combination helped me get the nausea under control.   Also make sure you are getting your fluids in that helps as well try different fluids I could not do water or crystal light in the beginning.  I found the low calorie Gatorade worked the best for me.    Also I know some people have issues with the temperature of drinks so you might want to try different things there too.  

AmethystGem
on 6/14/12 11:14 am
Hi, yeah I just had mine done on the 4th.  Regular water was the worst.  Too heavy or something.  I really liked the Propel water, its SF, flavored and has electrolytes which makes it lighter.  At first I thought it was carbonated, but it's just the busy electrolytes swirling around.  Im not getting my 64oz either so I keep a glass next to me when watching TV and sip during every commercial break.  For instance I'm sipping on Isopure now, so I'm covering my fluids and my protein at the same time.  Sorry to hear you're so nauseous.
AmethystGem
sidsid
on 6/14/12 11:21 am, edited 6/14/12 11:22 am
 Hey this was me!!!!!
i had  my surgery May 15 with a redo on May 16th. I was sooooo sick just like you sooo sick, nothing worked zofran, maxiran etc, nothing. I wanted my life back. Went back in to ER with complication in for another 3 days. Was sooooo dehydrated, nothing worked, couldnt eat, wanted to die.
sound familiar??? lost 25 lbs in the first 2 weeks.
Surgeon said some get sick but it will go. Plan to go back to work at 3 weeks - plan shot.
It's now 4 weeks. so for me it went nauseated everyday for 2 weeks, then 2 good days, then 3 bad, then another two good, day is the 4th good day. I am praying that this trend stays.
Now down 30 lbs. 
I think I understand what is now making me nauseous, I tried to eat something hard ( chewed it to death- 1 strip of ginger beef) - sick. It is interesting because the surgeon just told me your stomach is slow to tell you you are full or something was not appropriate yet. He said sometimes it will be uncomfortable or you may start feeling sick if you eat too much (that might mean a teaspoon too much). Well this explains why after a good day, I ate and was sick again in an hour.

One person on  the forum called this 'buyers remorse" I thought that was amusing.
as for drinking I lived on tiny sips of half flat icy ginger ale and now on perrier. I am still not hydrated properly but getting there.
I feel for you the nausea was the worst I have every had and nothing helped. Some idiot on the forum had all the answers, but I think time will resolve this, stay strong. The time you are at 14 days and on soft food it will be easier. i am living on goat cheese on ritz, only 2 every 3 hours, soggy cheerios and baked beans.
good luck hang in there!!!!!!
Leanne43
on 6/14/12 11:26 am - , Canada
RNY on 06/04/12
if your nausea goes on too long you better go see your doc. you don't want to be losing that much fluid your going to need help.

best of luck to you
sidsid
on 6/14/12 11:36 am
 been there done that, drugs didnt help, they had no solutions, think I am out of the woods now but it was 3+ weeks of hell
marty69
on 6/14/12 11:32 am - MO
RNY on 06/06/12
I hear ya about wanting to get on with the healing process an get your"life back". i had my bypass same day as you did. i only managed to go home for 24 hours due to complications i am having. my 20 month granddaughter feels that its been enough i should come home now.and that people need to stop touching mama with needles :)  (her an her parents live with us as they are full time medical students.)
It will get better soon.just look at all the people waiting on the lossers bench for us .

have faith and remember you didnt come this far to be down on your self.

May We All be Blessed and Valued 

marty

sidsid
on 6/14/12 11:44 am
 thanks Marty, this forum has been a great source of support and an ability to vent.
Love your statement".........just look at all the people wanting for you on the loser's bench"

going to a party on saturday, ( all being well) havent told these people about the surgery. i am already thinking of how I pretend to eat, so as not to look like I cant eat.
The drinking will be easier.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 265 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 278 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views