Advanced to "Mushy" Foods

angel_tx
on 6/17/12 5:00 am, edited 6/17/12 5:20 am - TX
RNY on 06/06/12 with
Well, I think I'm fortunate because I've very cautiously tried...tuna wih low fat mayo and a touch of relish, refried beans and cheese, green beans and I even tried a little lettuce. I'm careful to chew my food properly and I never eat too much of each. I'm not really hungry as much as I crave to actually bite food as opposed to drinking it.

No sickness to date, I seem to be tolerating everything ok and I'm not quite two weeks out. My question is....am I trying things too soon? My surgeon is on vacation until June 25 when I see her for the first time post-op. I'm drinking my protein shakes and I've been living on popsicles, tomato soup, greek yogurt, broth and sf jello and pudding. I've found that this surgery makes me really think about what I'll need for the day when I go out with my sister since I have to be so particular about what I eat. It's not like it used to be when I would just stop and grab something at Chick-fil-A...lol. I almost tried mashed potatoes last night from KFC but as soon as I tasted just a touch I thought they were loaded with butter and since I'm TERRIFIED of vomiting I passed, even though they tasted amazing. LOL...healthy fear.

Also, why can't we do caffeine? I looooovvvvvve sweet tea....come on, I'm Texan. I'd love to have some but I imagine I'll have to make it at home because I'm sure most places only carry the caffeinated kind. I just wasn't sure why no caffeine.

Start: 208lbs  Goal: 127lbs   Age:  39     Height:  4'11"       

poet_kelly
on 6/17/12 5:10 am - OH
I don't know if you're trying things too soon or not.  What does your surgeon's plan say?  When does it say to advance from pureed food to soft food?  When does it say to advance to raw veggies like lettuce?

We can do caffeine if we want.  Some people choose not to.  Some think it can increase the risk of dehydration, although studies show it doesn't.  It may aggrevate a developing ulcer, and it does interfere some with the absorption of calcium (although if we are taking 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate like we should be, it shouldn't really be a problem).  Some people choose not to drink it for other reasons.  Other people choose to drink it in moderation or to drink it a whole lot.

Keep in mind that sweet tea usually has LOTS of sugar in it.  I would be much more worried about all that sugar than about the caffeine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

angel_tx
on 6/17/12 5:18 am, edited 6/17/12 5:20 am - TX
RNY on 06/06/12 with
My plan is somewhat vague...it lists some examples of each phase, I guess I really need to call the nutritionist. I couldn't find lettuce anywhere but I guess you're right, it's a raw veggie. I'm still learning. I don't want to go too fast. So far my recovery has been surprisingly easy as far as what I can stomach. I've never been a big eater...I just made poor choices...sweet tea included. However, if I couldn't find sweet tea I had no problem sweetening with Sweet n Low which I think we can have right? So, I'd like to buy unsweet tea and sweeten it while on the go but I was unsure about the caffeine.

poet_kelly
on 6/17/12 5:20 am - OH
Yeah, Sweet n Low is fine.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cherokeesage
on 6/17/12 6:16 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I had taco meat at this phase.  At the beginning of my third week the Dr had me add a little spinach leaves to see if I could tolerate.  I've not had any issues with food.  I also would bake a potatoe and ma**** with some added chicken broth.  Food taste so much better as we start eating again.  It is an oppotunity to start back with food without adding all the fat and sugar to it and just enjoy it plain. I wrap a sweet potatoe in a paper towel and bake it for 5 min in the microwave.  It is so good with nothing on it.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

moviechick00
on 6/17/12 1:02 pm
Revision on 05/17/12
Glad to see another Dr Warnock patient!!  When I went for my 2 week post op he was like great work!!!  OK to start taco meats and chicken.  I am trying to introduce regular foods back in but am working on it slowly.

hw 255 Realize band 2/10 lw 206 (slipped/moved caused lots of pain)
weight pre-op 225 revision RNY 5/17/12
angel_tx
on 6/17/12 6:32 am - TX
RNY on 06/06/12 with
Thank you so much you guys...any guidance is welcome. I'm still learning how to eat again. I do find that I appreciate the little things now that I hadn't before, maybe that can be attributed to eating slower as I ate soooo fast before...like the green beans were so good.

I'd love any ideas since I'm just starting out. I'm going to try the potato thing today. Thanks a bunch!

fawnracene
on 6/17/12 10:34 am
RNY on 06/06/12
 Because of my distance from my surgeon I will not see him till thursday i see we had surgery the same day. My instructions were to advance week by week on my plan as tolerated by my body. I have had blended chili, beans and cheese, pureed canned fruit, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs,.
angel_tx
on 6/17/12 11:43 am, edited 6/17/12 12:10 pm - TX
RNY on 06/06/12 with
I haven't been brave enough to try canned fruit even though that sounds really good. I thought there would be too much sugar in it. I went shopping today at the Super WalMart and the truth is I'm so overwhelmed...it's hard for me to find things that I can eat. I read here that someone said they begin to dump at 20g of sugar so I try to stay below that but then the Chobani Greek Yogurts I'm eating are very close to that. How is that I can eat those? I'm sad...I wish I knew more about the things I'm able to eat and what I'm not. Is it mostly trial and error? What is "alcohol sugar" as opposed to "natural sugars" or just regular old sugar which I assume is cane? Am I looking at the right things? I've never been a label reader but I feel like that is my new way of life....just not sure I'm looking at the right things.

On the upside, I brewed some tea today and added and Sweet n Low and this Texan is a much happier girl these days. That will make getting my fluids in so much easier.

poet_kelly
on 6/17/12 11:51 am - OH
Sugar alcohol is artificial sweeteners.  Found in sugar free foods.

"Regular old sugar" is table sugar, or sucrose, that grainy white stuff.

"Natural sugar" is things like the lactose in milk and the fructose in fruit.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 444 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views