Hypokalemia/Anemia problems. Help/advice, please!

nawnndawn
on 6/17/12 9:33 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi, I posted this in the main forum last night and dind't think to post it in the Roux en y forum as well.  I also just posted in the DS forum as the few that did reply suggested that I do so.  I am so lost as to what to do anymore about the hypokalemia and anemia.  I go for bloodwork tomorrow and I am terrified.  Dawn

Post Date: 6/16/12 7:48 pm
Hey everyone! My name is Dawn and I just hit my FIVE year surgiversary yesterday! I used to frequent this board more when I first had my surgery but I have some questions that I am wondering if anyone has answers to, or maybe some advice. Since March of this year I have been hospitalized six times for hypokalemia (low potassium) the last time I was hopitalized the dr.s told me that my iron was extremeley low as well, so I was given two bags of iron during that stay. The follow up bllodwork showed that both the iron and the potassuim dropped. Now, I knew from experience that the potassium would drop, basically as soon as the IV would be ripped from my arm it would drop, but I was surprised about the iron. During my hospital stay-it was a week, I was given every test under the sun (endoscopy, colonoscopy, extensive bloodwork, utrasounds,etc) there was talk of a bone marrow biopsy but that has not happened as of yet. So I am wondering if anyoe out there who has had the surgery, specifically roux en y has had problems with potassium and iron to the point where they have been hopspitalized for it. Did dr's come up with a diaginosis? I feel so alone, I have taken a lot of flack for having the surgery in the first place, but I have never regretted my decision. These problems started shortly after my son was born last August and I am curious to know if my pregnancy "tripped" something. (I ws high risk as I had gestational diabetes) I'm trying my best to eat the right foods and I take all my supplements and prescriptions religiously! If you can offer and advice I'd really appreciate it. I'm so down to the point where someone else has to pick me up. Dawn
poet_kelly
on 6/17/12 9:36 am - OH
Have you been taking oral potassium supplements?

How much iron have you been taking, and what kind?  Are you taking it with vitamin C, and if so, how much?  And you're taking it at least two hours away from calcium?

I'm gonna suggest you contact vitalady (Michelle).  You can reach her through her website, vitalady.com.  She knows a LOT about vitamins and minerals and may have some suggestions for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Susan-C.
on 6/17/12 11:12 am
 I'm sorry you're having problems.  Have you gone to see your surgeon?   Mine was able to diagnose my bowel obstruction right away.  My PCP thought it was my gallbladder.  
  I had trouble with anemia caused by a couple years of very heavy periods - but I wasn't hospitalized for it.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views