Diabetes - Does it get better after RNY???

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/12 10:07 am - waukesha, WI

I have been a diabetic for 28 years.  I started insulin 8 years ago.  Before surgery, I was taking 35 units of U500   (175 units of insulin 3x a day) with a A1C of 11.  My insulin reguirement went super low after surgery and currently off of insulin.  I am 8 months out.  I not to sure if I will be able to stay off of insulin forever but ny A1C is 5.3.

jackietex
on 6/20/12 12:25 pm
I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic eight or nine years ago and was on 2 oral meds at time of surgery. At that time my A1c was 7.2. My surgeon stopped all medications and at three months my fasting glucose checks were at about 105, but just in the last three weeks or so they have dropped to about 95.

Lap RNY February 15, 2012
Starting weight 195 (ht. 4'10)
Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

KELLY R.
on 6/21/12 3:18 am - PA
RNY on 04/04/12

Everyone is different.  If you're diabetes has been that bad for that long, it could be that A.) your body will just take longer to adjust to it all or B.) you will have to continue on your insulins forever, just much lower dosages.  I would address these concerns with your surgeon and he/she should be able to give you a better picture of what you personally can expect.

I've been diabetic since 2006 and was just starting on insulins and such this past December.  My sugars were running in the mid to upper 200's no matter what I tried to do.  Since I came home from surgery they are now running about 80-90 on average and I'm no longer on any medications.  

Best of luck to you!!

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

eris8
on 6/26/12 11:27 am - Holland, MI
It took me a few minutes to find it, but here it is:

This is the doctor that did my RNY, Dr. Schram.  He was interviewed by our local news station concerning the "remission" of diabetes after WLS.  I hope this helps.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/eightwest/type-2-diabetes-and-you
Most Active
Recent Topics