Diabetes - Does it get better after RNY???

darlingdeb
on 6/20/12 5:29 am - OH
Hi - I had my RNY surgery April 17th, 2012.  I have diabetes and I was first diagnosed about 20 years ago.  I am on the Insulin Pump and have been for 12 years. 

I was told by my Endroconologist that my diabetes was getting worse and I needed to do something like having the RNY. 

I had read that some people with diabetes goes into remission like overnight.  I was praying that I would be one of those people but that didn't happen for me.  I have also read that some people will go into remission maybe 3 to 6 months later.  I was hoping to hear from anyone that it didn't happen for overnight. 

I'm starting to get discouraged.  My diabetes is in the 140's to 180's since surgery.  Which is better than before I got surgery.  I have went from 100 units a day to 30 units a day.  My A1C was 12.2 before surgery and I had to work to get it to 8.5 for surgery.  I don't know what it is now but I just had my labs done yesterday, so I will see where it is now.

Like I said I was wondering if anyone else has went through this and that it got better with time?

Thanks for any advice or experience you have with this issue.

Debbie
FireFightersWife
on 6/20/12 5:35 am
My diabetes went into remission for a while but as I re added foods into my diet.. eating more normal and on reg schedule I found a few flare ups..but nothing like before. Some never experience diabetes again..but.. others do.. it depends on your body.
     HUGGS         
     TAMMY

~Failure is not trying~ Success is not given, but earned~
SW: 283lbs/HW: 287lbs/current 168lbs/NEWGOAL: 155lbs  
Living with PCOS/Fibromyalgia/Arthritis/MultipleSpinal-Hip Injuries/conditions
Hysterectomy 02/06/2012

talula216
on 6/20/12 5:38 am - RI
RNY on 01/16/12
Hi Debbie

I was not insulin dependant but my PCP still has me on meds.  I do believe next month I will go off the meds.  So it taken 6 months.I was on 5 pills aday down to 2   My cousin who is a insulin dependant diabetic took about 8 months. It can take time.

Talula
Starting weight 369

Larry Wassmann
on 6/20/12 5:46 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
They took me off all my meds but 20 units per day of insulin. I was told that if you have had diabetes for more than 10 years you will not get off insulin completley for some time, if ever. My PCP seems to think that when I get to gaol there is a good chance I will be off. My counts are normally 95 to 105 most days. I test 4 times a day and never have seen it above 110. Let's hope that when you are at goal you can be off insulin. Good luck. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

macjuicy
on 6/20/12 5:53 am, edited 6/20/12 5:55 am - FL
My Diabetes was in remission about 4 months in, I use to have an average Sugar reading of 350-378 now it bearely breaks 85. I had Type 2

I also took insulin 3-4 times per day via the PEN shot

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

darlingdeb
on 6/20/12 6:00 am - OH
Hi - That makes me feel better since I am only 9 weeks out from surgery that my diabetes may still get better with time.

Thanks to all who have answered my post.

Debbie
Mal
on 6/20/12 7:08 am
 At six months postop, I was taken off my insulin and metformin for my diabetes.  It has been in remission since and I am 2 years post-op, down 170 lbs ( below goal) from 320 to 155 and size 26 to size 4.  RNY worked for me.

Mallisa

Amber H.
on 6/20/12 7:16 am - UT
RNY on 06/01/12
 I wasn't medicated prior to surgery, but I had been in the past (diagnosed type II in 2007, off meds by 2011). My fasting sugar on the morning of surgery was 125, now it's about 75. I also test throughout the day, and I have yet to break 90. 

RNY: June 1, 2012  HW: 450 GW: 200

inspirationseeker
on 6/20/12 8:23 am - CA
RNY on 02/02/12
 I was taking 850mg metaformin 3x a day, did not take any the day of surgery and have not taken any since.  I dont test my blood sugar regularly like i should, but when i do it is between 80 and 90. Good luck, I know someone on insulin who cannot afford it.  And she keeps pretty regular just with diet. So Im sure the surgery will definately benefit you. good luck

Carol M.
on 6/20/12 8:54 am - TX
 Yes, some of us are lucky enough to have our diabetes go in to remission immediately.  Others are not.  But as the weight comes off, you will probably see a real drop in your BG readings. We are all individuals when it comes to how our bodies work and react. It may take more time for your body to respond to the changes. So try and be patient and not compare your journey to anyone else's.  But, also, remember that being is remission is not being cured.  I know someone nearly 10 years out who just this year had her diabetes flare back up. She had been off meds for 9 years and now is back on them.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 233 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics