Struggling getting all my food and vitamins in

fawnracene
on 6/26/12 4:56 pm
RNY on 06/06/12
I have to take my vitmains at like seven differnet times of the day with meals or snacks I wont lie I am having a hard time getting all my meals snacks and vitamins in and I know how important the vitamins are. Any pointers?
poet_kelly
on 6/26/12 5:04 pm - OH
Why do you have to take them at seven different times?  You should only  need to take them four or five times, which I know can still be a challenge, but it's easier than seven times. 

You can reduce the number of vitamins you have to take by  using B12 shots once a month instead of a sublingual daily.  If you are taking D3, you can take a large dose just once or twice a week instead of taking it daily.  If you are using protein shakes, you can add Upcal D to them for calcium and then that is fewer pills you have to take.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fawnracene
on 6/26/12 5:12 pm
RNY on 06/06/12
 Thanks... I am just going off of the plan they gave me and I am like wtf how the hell am I going to do this...

msmelodie9
on 6/26/12 8:15 pm - Waldorf, MD
RNY on 05/21/12 with
Thank you for posting this question. I am having the same issue. I am 1 month out and all my doctors get on me about eating and drinking enough, even though I'm not hungry.. At this point I don't think I am getting 300 calories in. It hurts (uncomfortable) to eat and drink. I haven't vomited, but I know when my stomach doesn't like something. I need the same help getting it in. I did a protein diet 3 weeks before surgery, so drinking those shakes make me gag at this point. Plus although I don't have a appetite, I have always been a picky eater.
ShallowGirl
on 6/26/12 10:51 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
jujubee4224
on 6/27/12 12:03 am
RNY on 04/09/12
Do you work or are you at home. If you watch tv, take a few sips everytime a commercial comes on. You MUST eat and drink even without an appetite. You won't realize what you are doing to your body til much later. Just be patient and take it slow, it gets better. Most of everyone who posts here has been through it. I never thought I would be able to drink more than a sip, but now at almost 12 weeks out, I can drink 32 oz in a half hour. Have you tried changing the temperature of your fluids? I have found that most days, warm fluids (or room temperature) go down much easier. Just experiment and find what works for you.
Good luck and keep plugging along.

msmelodie9
on 6/30/12 6:43 am - Waldorf, MD
RNY on 05/21/12 with
 Thank you for the advice. I am at home now, so I can try to commercial trick. I have also been eating watermelon and popcicles (sugar free) to tyr and ger extra water in.

Hollie313
on 6/26/12 10:01 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
Dairy has been my friend, as far as protein is concerned.  I eat alot of cheese, make sure
to drink at least 16 oz skim milk throughout the day, and eat RF lunch meats.  I don't know
what stage you are on, but I lived off cottage cheese bake for awhile and it really helped
get my protein in.

As for vitamins, I take them every 2-3 hours.  My plan says I should be eating every 3-4
hours, so I follow that guideline and it keeps my vitamin taking in check.

Also, to the poster who is a picky eater.....my taste has changed somewhat since surgery.
You may want to try things you didn't care for pre-op, now.  You may find that your tastebuds
have changed somewhat.

Cottage Cheese Bake:

1 cup LF cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1 cup shredded mozarella

Layer those ingredients in a pie dish and bake for 20 mins @ 375.  Allow to sit because
it will be kind of runny.  You can mix the cottage & parm cheeses with an egg prior to
putting it in the pie dish, if you like.  I prefer not to.  =)

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

ShallowGirl
on 6/26/12 10:49 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
 I'm 5 days post op and I'm not eating a lot.  I use applesause cups (unsweetened).  They count as food and drink.  

re drink, I look at the following to see if I'm dehydrated (not a dietician chart!)
(1) are my eye wet?  
(2) is my mouth wet?  
(3) are my hand veins plump?  
(4) am I peeing regularly and it's not amber?

If so, then I'm OK.  

Re the pills 

I've got B12 you take every 3-4 days
A multi vitamin (+iron if necessary) daily
Calcium + D (A lot of them come together) daily

Don't be a prisoner of dieticians!  They don't know how to live.

My tastebuds have also changed.

The hard part for me is drinking enough.  I have to carry a water bottle and take a swig like every 5-10 minutes.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Dave Chambers
on 6/26/12 11:52 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Liquid vitamins will likely replace most of your vitamins.  Sublingual B12 is easy.  You can get powdered calcium citrate too.  I use the 50K IU dry D3, although I have to take more than 4 per week to keep levels up. Each patient is different, and you'll likely need to adjust your D3 over a few lab test results.  Get a multi compartment pill box.  This way you can take a day's worth with you when you leave home.  Opening several bottles 7 times a day is cumbersome, and those pill segmented boxes make this much easier.  Only pills that shouldn't be taken together are iron and calcium citrate. Otherwise, I take pills twice daily.  I found that the capsule form of calcium citrate from vitalady.com to be much easier to swallow than the larger pill form.  These also have 300mg of elemental calcium in each 600mg calcium citrate capsule.  Typically, caclium citrate pills only have about 25% elemental calcium in each pill. Taking 6 of the 600mg calcium citrate, usually equals 900mg elemental calcium, and 4 of the capsules are 1200mg elemental calcium.  I really don't understand the reasoning for pills 7 times a day. You should be able to condense this. It does take some getting used to, but I'm sure the need for these supplements was made known to you by your surgeon or dietiecian.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
Recent Topics