4 more NUT appointments... I'm going crazy!!

Roxann H.
on 6/27/12 6:02 am - OH
RNY on 01/28/13
 I am going crazy... Is anyone out there wishing that they didn't have to do 6 months on a supervised diet for insurance?? I have contemplated this surgery for over 5 years and was stupid by not having any of my diets recorded! So now I have to do 6 months before my surgery can be approved! Once the 6 months are up my doctor is 3 months out on surgery dates so I have to wait 9 months before I even see a light at the end of all this!! I think about my surgery everyday all day! I spend hours on this website! Is there anyone out there that is going through this?? Please don't tell me I am alone!! Lol!

Obesity now contributes to the death of more than 360,000 Americans a year. The incidence of childhood obesity is now at epidemic levels. Alarm bells are going off all over the place. But our government has done virtually nothing.? - Tom Harkin
July 23-12 Nut September 17-12 Nut
August 20-12 Nut  October 23-12 LAST nut!!!

artroxy blue
on 6/27/12 6:10 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Quite a few insurance companies require the 6-month dietician-supervised diet. I just went through all this with my surgical team and insurance. As for having to wait almost 9 months for surgery, time flies. It may not seem like it now, but it will be here before you know it. Hang in there, and take it one day at a time.

I had to take a few breaks from the website while I was going through my testing phase, and I think I'm in a much better place about my decision. 
Jessica A.
on 6/27/12 6:26 am - Auburn, AL
Been there, done that.  It does seem like torture.  I had to do the six month supervised diet plus during this time, I had emergency gallbladder removal which happened to be the same week as my psych appointment which was in May of 2010.  I had to reschedule due to my surgery, the earliest they could get me in was October!!  Plus the psych evaluator required two visits!  I had started everything back in March of 2010.  Needless to say after I got that all cleared up plus then I had to go on a one month pre-surgery diet, I had my surgery in January of 2011.  It seems like forever but time will go by faster than you know.  I've known of people having to wait way longer than that.  :)
seattledeb
on 6/27/12 6:35 am
 Well since you have to do them anyway why not use them to your advantage. Talk a lot about your post surgery diet..immediately, the progression. how they see you eating at 6 months, a year.
Talk about eating out.
Talk about nausea.
Talk about the best way to get vitamins down. 
Ask them for samples. The reps give them samples and you can try some stuff now.

I would love to spend 4 appointments with a  nut.

Deb T.

HouptMom
on 6/27/12 6:56 am - PA
 I started my surgery process a year ago.....was soooo excited at the time that it was a covered benefit with our insurance.....but I was really bummed out about the six month (required) preparation.  Looking back it was a good experience and once a month or two went by it didn't seem so far away.  Over that six mth. stretch there were lots of dr. appointments also to clear me for the surgery:  cardiologist, pulmonologist, family dr., and psych.  So the time was busy and well spent.  The NUT is VERY helpful.  My surgery was in February and I can tell you the postoperative time goes a lot faster than that LONG prep time.  Please hang in there....it is a let down when you find out about the long wait....but it will all fall together...and it is worth it.  I was 267 a year ago....and was 244 the day of surgery.  Now just four months postoperative I am 177.    It will all work out for you....stay close to this web site and the message boards.....lots of people experiencing similar things and very helpful to share what you are going through and get feedback from those who have been there and those who are right where you are in the process.  Good Luck and know there is a comfy seat waiting for you on the other side...the loser's bench!

HW 267/SW 243/CW 177/ GW160

nonogood37
on 6/27/12 7:12 am - chicago, IL
I understand what you are going through, I am done with my 6 months supervised appointments as of June 19th. I was told it takes about 4 weeks before I get an approval...soo Im playing the waiting game too
sweetishgirl
on 6/27/12 10:56 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I have completed three of the six months so far, as requires by my insurance.  For me, the time has flew by.  I am using this six months to order and sample protein drinks/bars, etc.  Talking to people on here has helped me prepare for surgery mentally also-I'm with ya there, I am on here all the time.  The people here are so very helpful, I just don't know what I would do without their guidance and knowledge.

I am using this time to calculate how much I will spend each month on vitamins and also figuring out where the best place is to purchase the things I will need after surgery.  I have bought and read cook books for people that have had gastric bypass, so I can eat healthy and stay on track long after surgery.

Good luck!!!
biasmom
on 6/27/12 12:33 pm
I am also working on my 6 month supervised diet and I have been to 4 so far. It is a good time to start learning how to change some things like not drinking with meals, that is going to be a tough one for me. I really don't know how long my wait will be after I'm done with the diet I hope it's not to long I'M READY to get this done.
Roxann H.
on 6/27/12 6:10 pm - OH
RNY on 01/28/13
 Thank you guys so much for responding to me!! I went to a support group last night and am so glad I did! I got to hear two people talk about their journey and it really put things into perspective! It took me 5 years to actually decide it was time to have this surgery. During those 5 years I researched this so much that I feel prepared for it. I am going to take this time and learn from the proffessionals as much as I can! I know it will all be worth the wait! I am glad I have somewhere to go for my venting though!!

Obesity now contributes to the death of more than 360,000 Americans a year. The incidence of childhood obesity is now at epidemic levels. Alarm bells are going off all over the place. But our government has done virtually nothing.? - Tom Harkin
July 23-12 Nut September 17-12 Nut
August 20-12 Nut  October 23-12 LAST nut!!!