Starting to panic a bit...

siamsa1
on 7/1/12 2:01 am
RNY on 07/17/12
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone else has been through this.  I am scheduled for surgery on the 17th so I start my pre-op two week liquid diet on Tuesday July 3rd.  Right now I am starting to go into a panic mode about my ability to maintain my New Direction shakes, sugar free Jello and/or sugar free popsicles.  Like I tried to explain to a few of my friends, it's almost like I'm starting to mourn my old lifestyle.  Intellectually I know that the decision to have the surgery is one of the best decisions that I could've made,  but I think it's more of a mind game at this point.  Does it get any better and/or easier?

Jennifer
madeformore
on 7/1/12 2:08 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12
Been there, felt that. Recently. I am only 1 1/2 weeks post op. For me, it did get easier. Each day, actually each moment, I got through on the liquid diet, made me feel stronger and more able. And as the scale started moving, that was motivating also. You CAN do it! I was the queen of no self-control when it came to food before and I made it through without a single cheat and while still feeding my family. It IS possible!

Good luck to you!

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

Dani Dutch
on 7/1/12 2:11 am - Netherlands
You can do this and it is normal what you are feeling. See it as a washing away of the old and preparing yourself for the new you.
bugsmommy
on 7/1/12 2:28 am
Not there yet but so natural to mourn the changes that happen in our lives. And this is a HUGE change in out lives.

Cherie
MrsLitch
on 7/1/12 3:00 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I went through the same thing at that point. It did get easier but there are still times where I go ughhh I really just want a big bite of this or I wish I could have that. Of course I'm only four weeks out tomorrow so I hope the routine gets rid of some of that.

For myself and other's I've talked to day 2-3 of the pre op diet is where I was curled in a fetal position on the bed wishing I could just be done with it all due to my body detoxing from the caffeine and carbs. By day 4 I knew I was making the right decision. I did have a cheat breakfast half way through because I freaked out at the thought of never having my fave breakfast again but got right back on track and told myself if I couldn't comply for 2 weeks how could I do this for life?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 7/1/12 3:05 am
RNY on 01/10/12
 It's TEMPORARY.  The liquid diet may seem interminable as you're going through it, but it does end.  Just keep telling yourself:  It's temporary.  It will end.  It will be over soon.

And then the post-op stages are temporary, too.  Soon you'll be eating (relatively) normal food, PLUS you won't feel the compulsion to eat (if you even feel hungry!)

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

M. B
on 7/1/12 4:18 am
RNY on 07/13/12
 I am there with you! Mine is scheduled for July 13th, and I start my protein shakes and 1 small salad on the 3rd and go to full clear liquids on the 10th. I am kind of freaking out/obsessing with all the goods I can only eat for 1 and 1/2 more days :-/
Is that normal to want to almost gorge myself on all the things I can never have? 
Kristina41
on 7/1/12 6:52 am
RNY on 06/26/12
I had my surgery on June 26 - and yes, I had a really difficult time with the pre-surgery diet. I had Father's Day, my birthday, and a school field trip to an amusement park during that time. What helped was I planned what to bring with me and when to eat. The second day of the diet I had the worst headache ever - I was going through withdrawal, and my brain felt fuzzy. And, to be honest - I had a weak moment when I ate some chicken about halfway through for dinner. But I was ashamed and got right back to it.
Now - I'm really not hungry at all. Certain things smell really good, and I know eventually I will be able to eat good tasting and healthy food. I am watching the scale go down and that part is really exciting!
You will do really well. Just think about the long term results, and how much healthier you will be!
Kristina

aquapolyester
on 7/1/12 10:59 am
RNY on 07/17/12
 I too am scheduled for July 17th - I am right there with you!  My surgeon doesn't have any kind of liquid pre-op diet, but rather a month (preferrably longer) long high protein/low carb diet.  I have been slowly clearing items out of my pantry that just aren't good... for anyone!  
While reading my binder from my surgeon's clinic, I too felt kind of sad (or whatever feeling it is).  I kept thinking of all the things I WON'T be able to eat.  But... I should be thinking of all the things I WILL be able to do, once my body is at a healthy weight and I am able to keep up with my family! 
I thought about doing a count-down calendar until surgery, but thought that it might make it harder and add more stress about this.  
I am confident that this is the best thing for me, and I know I can do this... you can too!   It would be nice to keep in touch - the more support, the easier this journey will be!  

HW = 400  SW = 352  CW = 330

becca4
on 7/1/12 1:44 pm
 My surgery is scheduled for July 11th.  I have been on the pre-op liquid diet for 3 weeks now.  I've broken down a few times feeling a sense of loss and sadness.  But now that I'm a week and a half away and see the finish line - I'm in a zone.  We have had graduation parties; birthdays; father's day and it's been hard.  We went to a big celebration tonight and I sat there with my carrots and water and my self control.  I know one day I will be able to participate in eating again, just eating differently.  Hoping it all gets better as well!