Hair loss - Wig anyone?

Christy L.
on 7/3/12 2:58 pm - TN
My hair was really thin before surgery.  I've dealt with thin hair my entire adult life and so has my mom, grandmother, etc.  Just something women in my family are prone to.  I almost changed my mind about surgery just from the fear of losing what hair I have left.

So, 10 weeks out and I've noticed significant hair loss.  Could be the usual hair loss - it seems to get really thin, grow back in, and get thin again, or it could be from surgery.  I am seriously considering a wig if it gets worse. 

Anybody wear a wig?  What should I look for?  I know there are different kinds, types etc.  I've been looking online and it's really confusing! 

kathyshrinks
on 7/3/12 3:10 pm, edited 7/3/12 3:11 pm - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
From what I have read, 10 weeks seems a little early to notice hair loss.  I believe it is usually 3-4 months out that most people notice it.  I'll be interested to hear the responses about wigs.  Anyone invest in those?  The good ones are pretty pricey.  I, too have had thin hair for a while, starting when I was in my early thirties, and it seems to have gotten thinner since my RNY in January.  It's not scary- looking so far, but I do worry that the day will come when I need to get a wig.

Christy L.
on 7/3/12 3:21 pm - TN
I probably noticed it earlier because my hair is so thin in the first place.  It may not even be because of the surgery b/c I had this problem before and it came and went so could just be another episode! 

xtine
on 7/3/12 3:38 pm - San Jose, CA
Yeah mine hit damn near on the exact day of my 3 month mark.

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

Adrianne_Dawn
on 7/3/12 3:32 pm - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 Is your hair to thin to do clip in extensions?  They will make your hair look fuller. Unless of course it's thinner on top then it might not work.  I'd go for real hair because it lasts longer and you can curl, straighten and wash them. Not sure on brands though! 

BugdocMom
on 7/3/12 7:14 pm - CA
My hair loss started at 6 weeks and continued through to 9 months. I got a short sassy cut and invested in some fancy salon shampoo and that helped it appear thicker. I have hear there is a Joan Rivers product that really helps hide the thinning. But, to be honest, if I had to do it again, I might invest in a few wigs. It sounds like fun!
Dani Dutch
on 7/3/12 7:45 pm - Netherlands
I wear wigs but that is just because I like to switch up hair styles and colors. If you are thinking about it and your hair is thin in the front then you might want to check out a lace-front wig. They look more real also most are 100% human hair. If you live some place warm then make sure it is human hair. It'll be much much cooler.

Hand-tired are nice but cost waaay too much I think. Also the hair in the wig tends to fall out. Who needs a wig that sheds?

Look online for a wig. Many places have sales and buy one get one free offers. Don't let somebody try to charge you over $300. For that you can order a custom made wig from China.
Christy L.
on 7/4/12 8:07 am - TN
Thanks for the 'wig knowledge'!  I was looking online last night and was SO confused!  Is there a specific website you would recommend?

Dee.spunk
on 7/4/12 1:38 am - Sacramento, CA
I wear wigs. I went to one wig shop, and, not to offend anyone, it was owned by a white lady and her cheapest wig was $150! And it was synthetic! The human hair started at $400! I then went to a different wig shop, owned by an Asian family where they sold hair for weaves and stuff and they had synthetic ones at like $35 and human hair ones starting at $50. I don't like the lace front ones, but that's just me. I'd go and try different types. See which I ones are more comfy for you. My profile pic is me with a wig. I'll try to get more pics up with my wigs on.
I don't think I can post them from my phone.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Christy L.
on 7/4/12 7:53 am - TN
Thanks!  I will definitely shop around if I decide for sure to get a wig! That's a huge price difference!