Hair Loss

mokagurl
on 7/6/12 7:06 am - WA
RNY on 03/22/12
 You know I had no idea that you can loose your hair.  I always hand a handful of hairloss prior to surgery, when washing my hair in the shower, I would have some loss, but I have very thick long hair.  Just about 3 weeks or so ago, I noticed a lot more coming out, and thought wow, this seems a bit much.  Now, after reading in this forum, I guess it's natural.  Does everyone loose their hair?  

Will I loose all of it?  

Oh my, I hope not!  

I told my husband that I am having a problem with my surgery, and he said, "what problem", my reply, "hair loss".   I said, "I think I may cut it quite a bit shorter, (it's abour 4-5" past my bra line), his reply, "continue on after your appointment to find an apartment to live in"!! HA! HA!

My hubby loves my long hair, but it's mess to deal with; all this loss.  I am NOT noticing yet any large patches, it seems to be even amounts of loss all over, but oh my goodness, it's more than I like.  I have to constantly wipe up the floor from brushing my hair in the bathroom.
poet_kelly
on 7/6/12 7:10 am - OH
Not everyone loses hair but most people do lose some.

No, you won't lose all of it.  At least, I've never heard of anyone losing all of it.  It usually falls out for about three months, then starts to grow back.  I got mine cut short to make it less noticable.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dee.spunk
on 7/6/12 7:28 am - Sacramento, CA
I have lost a lot, but not all. I also started with very thin hair to begin with, so it's a lot more noticeable. I know a few people who you couldnt even tell they lost hair. Everyone is different.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

SweetLilyAnn
on 7/6/12 8:23 am - TX
My hair sounds a lot like yours. Very thick and long. I lost a lot of hair during months 5-7. But I was the only one who noticed. I lost for a few months and then it stopped. I started taking Biotin 500 mg two times a day and I use Nioxin shampoo. Both seem to help. I also lessened the times that I washed it and did not lighten my hair during this period. My hair is not oily so I went to every third day to wash my hair, I let it air dry and I never used heat on my hair (No hair dryer, curling iron, curlers or flat iron etc...) After my hair stopped falling out in a large volume, I started everything back up again. When it was falling out I just let it rest and just took really good care of it. Not sure if what I did helped or slowed the process, but it is what I did. My hair loss stopped after a few months and is growing back in - to where my new growth is about 2.5 inches long now. I am keeping it a little shorter so it can catch up (about down to my bra). As I said, no one noticed the loss except me b/c I had so much hair....but it was VERY distressing to me, I understand you pain. I never knew if/when it would stop and it was such a relief when it did. Good luck to you....

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

tinamarie_125
on 7/6/12 9:21 am
 I lost some about 6 months out. It has never went back to being thick. But that's ok....now I get cute little pixie haircuts! My husband loves short hair. So he doesn't mind ;)
Lady Lithia
on 7/6/12 9:51 am
I had long (almost waist length) very thick hair prior to surgery. I knew about the hair loss. I ended up losing about half of my extensive volume but it was only obvious to me. It really started to come out at 10 weeks postop, and slowed down to normal at 22 weeks postop. I had 100 or so grams of protein daily pre-op and from day three postop so upping my protein (as the myth says) didn't do anything about my hair loss.

The hair loss didn't bother me nearly as much as the regrowth. When I had a huge volume of short hair growing back, it stuck out all over the place. I eventually got my hair cut to jaw length so that the hair growing back in would catch up with teh rest. Then I had two other surgeries (and hair loss with those) so I kept it short until after my last surgery. Now it's about the length you describe and getting longer fast. My plan is to let it grow until next Spring at least. Then we'll see.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

dawnie55
on 7/6/12 10:41 am - Garden Grove, CA
I have long hair and thick i have lost alot of hair at first
not so much now..b4 i had to have it thin out not any more
its just right
Lady Lithia
on 7/6/12 12:40 pm
here's a couple of photographs to give an idea of my hair....

AFTER losing half my volume:

Here's after I got it cut to be a similar length: 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Nycm
on 7/6/12 10:47 am
RNY on 02/21/12 with
Losing hair here... I make sure I get my protein in 80-100 grams a day. The loss started at 4months out. Don't know when it will stop. I am very thin on top and hope it does not get much worse.

Christine

Scaura
on 7/6/12 12:30 pm - Fort Collins, CO
 I have some VERY thin spots on top and I am self-conscious about it.  I color it a dark auburn so it is not quite as noticeable.  I also wear bandannas as headbands to push everything back over the thin spots.

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics