vitamin question

donna68
on 7/9/12 8:21 pm
does anyone know if we take our iron at one time instead of divided doses do we absorb the same small amount with 1 double dose as we would if we took 1 single dose at a time and then absorb more from the second later dose.  Dont know if I worded that correctly I'm taking 2 - 325 mg irons I know we don't absorb much , but will I absorb more if I take them in divided doses instead of at one time is what I am trying to figure out.  Or does the absorbtion equal the same because of the larger dose at one time.  Thanks

Strjen
on 7/9/12 8:27 pm - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
I only take one a day. I bought Vitalady's Tender Iron Capsules & it has 60 mg Elemental Carbonyl Iron with 400mg Vitamin C. My surgeon only put on my list to take one Iron supplement a day with at least 325mg=65mg elemental iron. Just remember to not have your calcium vitamins with it or any multi vit with calcium with it. I try to wait 4 hours between calcium & my iron pill. Good Luck!

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

poet_kelly
on 7/9/12 11:35 pm - OH
Yes you can take both together.  You're taking ferrous fulfate, it sounds like, and 325 mg ferrous sulfate only has 65 mg elemetal iron in it.  The rest is iron salts, which is what typically make people so constipated when they use ferrous sulfate.

If you want better absorption, use carbonyl instead of ferrous sulfate.  It's absorbed better, plus usually does not cause constipation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

artroxy blue
on 7/9/12 11:53 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Which iron are you taking? I recently switched to Vitalady's Tender Iron 60mg with 400mg of Vitamin C, and they seem to be working better for me. Before, I was taking Slow FE or chewables, but they were ferrous fumarate (sp.?), which won't be absorbed as well post-op, from what I understand. 

Anyway, I was splitting up my chewable iron when I was taking it. They were 29mg each, so I'd take one in the AM and one before bed. My iron levels were still lower than what my PCP would like, so she suggested taking the Slow FE (45mg per pill). They still upset my stomach, and caused pretty serious constipation unless I drank coffee. It's a vicious cycle...
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 446 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views