Koko Fit Club - pros and cons

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/12 10:31 pm
Koko FitClub is opening about 1.5 miles from my house.  I currently go to Curves but my pcp wants me to get a personal trainer and go to a "real" gym [his words].  Has anyone out there joined Koko FitClub, and do you like it?  It is supposed to be like having a personal trainer.  What are the positives and negatives about it?  The good, the bad and the ugly.  It is new to our area so there is no one here to ask.  I've googled them looking for the cons but cannot find anyone really dissing them.  About the only thing negative I could find was on the contracts and that you need to cancel your membership at least one month before it renews otherwise you are stuck for another year unless you pay a penalty.

Thanks!
KittenLove
on 7/10/12 11:23 pm - Around Knoxville, TN
This just came to my area, too! I've been hearing ads on the radio so I'm anxious to see responses!

Not that I'm interested as I love my gym but still curious...

Be happy. 

TeachNJ
on 7/11/12 11:28 pm
I've been a member of KoKo Fitclub in Hoboken, NJ for over a year.  Here are the pro's & con's:

Pros:
- If you're flaundering on where to begin with your workout, this is no brainer workout.  Everything is run on a tight regiment.  When you first go there, they will do a strength test with you and your numbers will be put into a computer system, which determines your strength workouts.

- It's a very efficient workout.  In 45 minutes, you will have a solid 30 minute strength workout, customized to your previous lifting abilities, and a 15 minute cardio workout. 

- The training is done "electronically"-- so although it is personal, it's not a human being.  I consider this a positve, as with people, you can easily waste time with small chatter or explanations, but this way, the computer just tells you directly what to do.  If you do want to talk to a person, you can always ask the front desk!  They are always very knowledgeable.

- It's not a typical "gym" scene.  There are no grunting muscle men walking around!  There are no mirrors, no juice bar, no towel service, no childcare, no locker room.  (This can be a pro or a con... depending on what you're looking for).  The expense of the gym goes directly to the high-tech equipment and all of the other offerings are eliminated.  If you're looking to go somewhere for an efficient workout & shower at home, this place is a good fit.

- The staff at my KoKo is always VERY friendly.  I think it's a corporate mandate for all staff to greet members by their name when entering the facility...  Whether it's mandated or not, it's a very friendly welcome!

Cons:
- Their technology is very effective in strength training, but they do not have customized workouts for cardio.  They do have a selection of preloaded cardio workouts on an ipod, but their cardio workouts are not as structured as the strength training.  They tell you 15 minutes, 3 times a week is enough for cardio, but I question this philosophy... as I personally have to suppliment my cardio with other exercises too.

- I personally love to watch TV or listen to music on the treadmill and there is not any type of cardio theater programs on the cardio machines.

- The treadmills at my gym face a wall-- not the most exciting!

- It's expensive... including tax, it's around $100/month.

- It can get crowded at peak hours and there aren't a lot of machines.

- I do wish they had a towel service & a locker room!  I'm often inconvenienced to run home and shower before continuing my day.  (I don't know if this applies to you!)

I hope this list helps!  Good luck!

PacificNorthwester
on 7/12/12 12:21 am

I joined KoKo about 3 months ago and I have to say that I'm really liking it.  I'm doing their "core" program as opposed to their "weightloss" program and I'm not really aiming to lose weight but rather to strengthen my muscles. I've lost about 12 pounds but my body shape is much better than it was. More importantly, my back doesn't hurt anymore because I've built up the muscles to support myself better.

The pros:
     the program itself works with minimal time or soreness
     schedule works around your daily needs - you don't need to coordinate with a trainer
     Never quite do the same workout twice so I'm not getting bored
     Typically get a fantastic workout in under an hour
     Strength program customizes to my needs and teaches me each exercise
     Some staff are adept at offering help when needed but leaving me alone when not
     All the staff is nice - no demeaning comments about my lack of skills
     There are all types of people in the gym: sleek bodys and fat ones, old and young, serious and funny

The cons:
     Some staff are too busy or too clueless to help
     Dependent on computers to work and sometimes they just don't (though the staff works around the problems)
     Can get tired of just elliptical or treadmill for the cardio part

The nuts and bolts:
KoKo has two parts to it. There is a cardio component and a strength component. The ideal plan is to do the 15 minute cardio 3-7 days a week and the 30-45 minute strength 3-4 days a week. I do the 15 minute elliptical cardio followed by the strength machine and finish up with another cardio on the treadmill. You use a USB drive (or thumb drive) to track what you do each visit. This USB drive allows the strength program to be customized to you; your strength program won't be exactly like anyone else's.

The cardio program is actually fun. I used to hate cardio. Even listening to music or stories wasn't sufficient to keep me from being bored. There are 12 programs for the elliptical and another 12 for the treadmill. There are 4 low-intensity, 4 mid-level, and 4 "are  you nuts?" levels but best of all, you are listening to a coach inspire you as you work out.  These programs are changed seasonally so just when you start to get bored with what he's saying, you'll get new ones to listen to. Michael, the voice on the program, pushes you hard but he continually reminds you to do what you can do and not overdo it. At the low intensity, he reminds you every time he wants you to bump up the difficulty level that your goal is 15 minutes of cardio with good form so he gives you ranges to use. Don't be surprised if in the middle of the cardio, he breaks into some song snippet or starts applauding you! Also, don't ever think his "walk in the park" is a gentle stroll!

The strength program uses a weight machine. There are several progams to choose from from weightloss to core strength to cancer recovery so you can pick what is most relevant to you. Everyone starts with a 2-week Foundation program first then starts a (typically) year long program. It's not actually a year-long but really an 8-week portion followed by two 2-week intensives then another 8-week portion, etc. What I'm liking is that I never do the same workout twice. I may do the same exercises that I've done before but no workout is identical to one I've done before. Each exercise allows you to set your range of motion so if you are limited or extra-flexible, you can set the machine to match _your_ needs rather than you matching the limits of the machine. While the strength part is expected to take 30 minutes, until you know how to do the exercises and set up the machine, it's fair to allocate 45 minutes. Once you are familiar with everything, the 30 minutes they quote is pretty accurate.

The strength machine has a small computer as part of it. You plug in  your USB drive and it reads what exercises you should be doing as well as how much weight to use. You can increase or decrease the weights and the program will remember that for next time. Typically, you'll do each exercise 2-3 times during your session and will do 6-8 repetitions in each set. As you do a repetition, there is a graphic you follow to make sure you are doing the exercise at the appropriate speed to get the most benefit from the exercise. You can reset the range of motion for each exercise as needed or get a refresher on how to do the exercise if you've forgotten how to do it.

Note that other than the voice of Michael, I haven't mentioned any people involved? Here's where it gets slightly less perfect. While the computer program walks you through a great workout designed to make you stronger without making you too sore, sometimes it's easy to not quite understand how to do an exercise. At my local KoKos, some of the staff keep a close eye on the people working out and some don't. Robin is great about correcting my form when I am in error but leaves me alone the rest of the time. The rest of the staff are either too busy or need to be asked for help.

That said, when I have engaged the staff, they've been very helpful and not at all dismissive of my lack of skills or muscle tone. I've been in some gyms where I get no help because I don't fit their idea of what a healthy person looks like. Koko hasn't had even a whiff of that.

Like any exercise program, it only works if you use it. Curves and most other chain programs I've looked into are just too repetitive to keep me coming. Koko worksespecially hard to keep from being boring. They've included the ideas of game achievements in their program, too.  Each workout gives you KoKo points which you can use to redeem for merchandise. Each month has some sort of a challenge that earns you points. Each strength training session has rewards for being perfectly in synch with the repetitions. As you get more points, you earn a different color on  your USB drive. Silly? Perhaps, but it's indicative of how they aren't the stoggy sweatshop I think of when I think of a gym.

I hope this help you understand how KoKo works. Even if you opt not to try it, I wish you well!

barbarag33
on 7/11/12 11:36 pm - plano, TX
KOKO is the best
barbara gibson facebook
srichey
on 7/12/12 12:30 am - TX
I have been a member of Koko Fitclub since this past January....7 mos now.  I have been a "gym rat" since I was very young.  I have been a member of various health clubs and gyms for the past 30yrs,  in my 20's I was an aerobic instructor, I am currently a Nurse part time and a Realtor full time.  I say all of this to give credability to myself and also to say that my time is limited when it comes to working out.....also, I am 48 yrs old!  Sooo, I am menopausal and started to gain weight in places I have never had an issue before.  Koko has what I call "virtual personal training."  It's great, because there is no thinking, no guess work on what to do today, no wondering if what I am doing is working, or what weight should I put on the machine, or how fast, slow, or high should my speed or incline be on the cardio machines.  It's all planned out for you on your very own flash drive, which you bring with you every time and plug into your machine.  Your workouts are downloaded and stored on the flash drive, so you can actually SEE your progress and know you are getting a solid workout....And the best part is, It is only 30 min. of strength training and 15 min of cardio! The workouts are designed so that you are getting the maximum results in the short time spent in the Fit club.  I tell everyone about it!  I think it's a great concept for busy people who can afford it and who want to be serious about getting healthy and fit.  I have lost 10 lbs and 1 dress size since joining.  I love getting Loko at Koko!~ good luck!
Golfrn
on 7/12/12 11:00 am - NH
I joined KokoFit in Nashua, NH 2 years ago August. I am 55 year old RN who was obese despite doing every diet and trying several gyms. (honesty the equip at the regular gyms was too confusing and even with the instructions from the personal trainer I had difficulty doing any significant workouts). Long story short, I joined KokoFit and have lost 65 lbs and have been maintaining that loss for about a year. I love the simplicity of the machines and the variety of the work outs. The wt training is tailored to your needs and is incremental. I think the work outs are fun and you can track everything on line, including strength tests to evaluate your progress (I increased mine by 66%!) I even ran my 1st 5k last August at age 54 and now I actually have muscle definition! My sons call me Koko queen and but I prefer the Koko Nut title! Give it a try!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views