Drain site pain?! Is this normal?

L. Matteson
on 7/11/12 1:40 am
RNY on 07/02/12
Seriously. I know it's normal to have some pain around the drain site. Sometimes it is so bad it hurts to stand up. I have my first post op appt in the morning and they are going to pull the stupid tube out. Will the pain get better after it is out?!

That is really the only pain I am having.

chelsea41808
on 7/11/12 2:42 am - OH
RNY on 05/14/12 with
 my drains came out before i left the hospital .. hope ya feel better after 

HW - 260    SW - 237    CW - 152    GW - 140                    

stanggirl89
on 7/11/12 2:50 am - DE

YESSSS that was the only pain that i had. was the drain tube..OMG!!! it does feel way better when its out...

Samonie
on 7/11/12 2:57 am - CT
RNY on 07/02/12
 My drain came out in the hospital and the incision is already healed. Good luck ;)
Capt_Kirk
on 7/11/12 3:24 am - WA
RNY on 06/12/12
 Immediately post-op I asked them what the hell was going on in my side.... it felt like I was being stabbed with a knife.  It was my drain.  Everytime a nurse or doctor came in and asked how my pain level was, I would tell them it's a 3, but that damn drain site is a 9.  Not until they removed that drain did the pain subside.  Hated it.
happy_baker
on 7/11/12 3:36 am
RNY on 02/15/12
 I had a lot more pain with my drain the further out I got. I think I had mine in for about 2 weeks, and towards the end there, it got bad. The skin is healing, the nerves are reconnecting, your body wants this foreign thing out of you. So yeah, it's going to be more tender.

I'm glad you're getting it out. My drain removal didn't hurt, but it felt like I'd been walloped. It dislodged a gas bubble and felt like I'd had the air knocked out of me. But it wasn't painful. Just weird. :) 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 7/11/12 4:56 am
yes and yes... you should feel so much better... I did..
(B****he removal dis not not hurt me  - but due to the inflamation - if stung a bit when they were cutting the tread the drain is secured with...

Once this thing is out - you should feel so much better...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

L. Matteson
on 7/11/12 5:58 am
RNY on 07/02/12
That is great to hear! Thanks everyone!

Willieburger
on 7/11/12 6:33 am
 I had my drain in 7 days.  By day 5 it was so sore....I was miserable.  When he pulled it mine DID hurt alot.  Once I caught my breath I was good.  It drained a bit more that day then all was good.  Most say their drain removal does not hurt so I was very suprised!
seanseosamh
on 7/11/12 7:24 am, edited 7/11/12 7:26 am
Had surgery 7/2.  Came home 7/4...the drain came out that morning.  The surgeon came in with some surgical residents and a 3rd year resident got the task of taking the drain out.  They mentioned the criteria for removal.  I think it was that they want to see 5 cc's or less of fluid in the bulb.  It was a little uncomfortable on the way out (less than 5 seconds).  The wound itself is healing nicely.  About 2 of the other four "entries" are still tender, but healing. 
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 346 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 344 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 292 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 462 views