Kelly - vitamin question - 1 year lab work (at 14 months out)

fran_pa
on 7/11/12 12:26 am - PA
So I had my first yearly with the surgeon. My Iron and Protein are on the low end. This is a little bothersome. I tend to supplement at least 35 grams of Protein a day, and on days I work out I'm supplementing anywhere from 60 to 100 grams (3-4 times a week), really. They've suggested I eat meat/fish and move from 3 oz to 4-6 oz 3 times a day. I'm like, that's a pound of meat a day, really? My total protein was 6.5 in December and is 6.2 now (normal is 6.6 - 8.7). Globulin went from 2.5 (low normal) to 2.2 (low). And my Ferritin went from 11.0 (low) to 15.5 (normal but too low for them); normal is 13.0 - 150.00. And this is after I've doubled up and switched my Iron again.  Of course my B-12 and Folic Acid are pretty high and everyone is good with that. So I'm thinking about that Iron Infusion to get it over with in one shot (or day) so to speak. Also my carbon dioxide has run a little high both times. They didn't say anything about this. Does this just mean I'm a lot of hot air or what? Does it mean my O2 is low? I don't get that with all the exercise/running I'm doing.
They are happy with my weight, but I am still slowly losing (it's not over yet). 

poet_kelly
on 7/11/12 1:17 am - OH
What was your iron level?  What kind of iron have you been taking?

I would try to increase your protein.  It seems like there are some people that need huge amounts of protein in order to get their level up to 7.0, which is where it would ideally be.  I'm glad my level, so far at least, has been OK with about 80-90 grams protein a day - I would have a hard time getting much more than that!

I dunno about the carbon dioxide.  If it was just a little high, it's probably not a  big deal.  You might wanna ask your doc about it just to be sure, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fran_pa
on 7/11/12 3:11 am - PA
The Ferritin level is my iron I am told:.  "A ferritin blood test checks the amount of ferritin in the blood. Ferritin is a protein in the body that binds to iron; most of the iron stored in the body is bound to ferritin. Ferritin is found in the liver camera, spleen camera, skeletal muscles, and bone marrow. Only a small amount of ferritin is found in the blood. The amount of ferritin in the blood shows how much iron is stored in your body."

I am going to up my protein.  I am always on edge about protein and calcium because I have a big history with kidney stones.

I now take Celebrate Iron.  I was taking B.A., but I hated the flavor and the way it seemed to process in my system.  I like the Celebrate better and it seems to suit me better.  Note I had a minor butt surgery due to  the way Iron processes in my system several weeks back.  The colorectal surgeron told me then, if you're body is not processing it; it's not going to process it no matter how much you take; you'll need to do the infusions.  So I have a referral for a hematologist but it's a little disconcerting.  The Celebrate Iron is Ferrous Fummerate.  Funny, just looking at the bottle, this is made in your backyard Kelly... the company is in Wadsworth, OH.

Ok, so before doing the infusion (I will at least consult with the hematologist), if I seriously up my protein and work pretty hard at that, what are the chances I can pull my Iron up by that change?

poet_kelly
on 7/11/12 3:35 am - OH
Ferritin is your iron storage.  They should have also gotten a total iron level.  If the total iron level is good but the ferritin is low, iron infusions might not be necessary.  But talk to the hematologist about it.  I'm sure he or she will do some more labs before deciding what needs to be done.

Are you taking vitamin C with your iron?  It helps with absorption.  You need 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron.  Take them at the same time.

For calcium, you're taking calcium citrate, right?  Those should not increase your risk of kidney stones.  It's calcium carbonate that does that.

I don't know that increasing your protein will help your iron much.  But It will help you overall.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fran_pa
on 7/11/12 9:50 am - PA
Well I have a 3 page report with a lot of  readings but nothing that says total iron, just the ferratin which is on the low end, but higher than it was in December.  It's 15.5 (normal is 13.0 - 150.0) in December it was 11.9. 

I still take B.A. multis and calcium.  The Celebrate Iron does have Vit C in it. 

My B12 was 1856 in Dec and it's 1343 now.  Still high but I have a doctor that actually loves that.

Yes the B.A. Calcium is Calcium Citrate.  Good to know about the kidney stone issue.  I always thought the scary level was 2000 mg a day, and since I take 1500 mg in vitamin form I always worried if i would pass that 2000 mg threshhold with what I naturally get in my diet on top of the 1500.  My kidneys stones have been calcium based so it's been a concern.

My total protein was 6.2 and should be 6.6-8.7, was 6.5 in Dec.

I guess I have a couple things that are slightly low but not bad overall; just need to keep it in check.
fran_pa
on 7/11/12 10:40 am - PA
While still reading up on things I found that a low reading on Globulin could indicate Celiac Disease... guess what?  I've known I've had Celiac Disease for 3 1/2 years now.  Go figure.  Wonder how much this effects my protein.  This might also explain my red blood count being slightly low.
poet_kelly
on 7/11/12 10:55 am - OH
It could affect your absorption of protein, for sure.  It can cause scaring in the small intestine, which interferes with absorption of things.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 450 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 343 views