Severe gas pain two days out of surgery

tigerlily77
on 7/11/12 3:52 pm
 Hi.  I had my surgery two days ago and have been feeling great.  Til tonight.  Severe gas pain. Ate mushroom soup for dinner and I think that did it.  Any suggestions? Been walking and still sooo painful
heaveniii
on 7/11/12 5:43 pm - Belleville, IL
RNY on 07/09/12
On July 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM Pacific Time, tigerlily77 wrote:
 Hi.  I had my surgery two days ago and have been feeling great.  Til tonight.  Severe gas pain. Ate mushroom soup for dinner and I think that did it.  Any suggestions? Been walking and still sooo painful
I too am 2d post op. I know each Dr. is different, but I was advised to have only clear liquids until week 2. Regarding the gas, it will take time to work its way out.

Good luck!
JaneJetson
on 7/11/12 5:56 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

Any gas-x strips?  They help take the edge off and walking will help even though you are 2 days out so this is bound to happen.  It is not comfortable and we have been where you are at.  It took me quite awhile before it let up.  everyone is so darn different so it would be impossible to tell you when this is going to ease off.  Did you make the soup with milk?  some folks become lactose intolerant after surgery. Get several boxes of Gas-x in the house. you can go though alot in a day.  Rock back and forth in a chair.If you have a rocking chair or rocking recliner try to rock.  I couldn't sleep in my own bed for weeks. I couldn't sleep on either one of my sides because I had my Gallbladder out also, so on my back in my recliner, but it saved my butt.  I was so bloated from drinking my protein shakes, and having cream of chicken soup made with milk that I really think it was the milk causing the gas.  Plus you were just rerouted so be prepared for anything. Try to get your water in most important. Are you allowed Popsicles, sf jello? All will count as water.  Sleep. Take it easy and don't get dehydrated. You don't want back into the hospital.  Don't worry about bowel movements.  Water in water out.  So many little things.  Good luck and keep us posted!!!  Everything is going to taste funny too and your sense of smell may be off the charts.  I jjust am trying to give you bits and pieces as to what to expect.  Don't weigh yourself 50 times a day.  You are not going to lose 50 pounds the first week!  Alot of pople get disappointed when the weight hasn't all fallen off after two weeks, I swear!!  People are funny!!!   Good luck and goodnight!   Jane in California where it's 1 in the morning and it's 75 degrees outside.  Too hot to sleep!  
lish249
on 7/11/12 10:03 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/12
 The gas pain was horrible for me. Gas-x worked a little. 
It will come in time. I think it was from the surgery not the soup.

I hope you feel better soon and are enjoying the new you soon!!!

tigerlily77
on 7/12/12 8:18 am
Tx for your comments and support.  Bought gas x today.  Sure hope it helps.  Making me scared to drink/eat.  
Deb331
on 7/12/12 10:34 am - GA
RNY on 05/14/12
My gas pain was terrible too. Mine took probably the whole first week to get the majority out then another week to get the gas that found its way into my shoulders. That was my experience but everyone is different. Good luck to you!

Lady Lithia
on 7/12/12 1:10 pm
Any time I hear "severe pain" and "recent postop" my response is: CALL YOUR SURGEON

You shouldn't have SEVERE pain when you are a new op. Call and describe to your surgeon and let them tell you what to do.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
Recent Topics