water is evil!!!

yangie314
on 7/12/12 9:52 am - MI
RNY on 07/03/12
 I am a week and 2 days out from surgery and still have a problem with water. For some reason, it gives me gas and cramping. It takes me about 2 to 3 hours to drivk 16 oz. Should I let my doc know. Also, I am in fear of dehydration and the was my urine looks (orange), i'm getting worried. What can I do?

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/12/12 10:05 am, edited 7/12/12 10:07 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 You have to get more fluids in, lots of them and soon. Underhydration is serious. No joke.

Plain water still hurts my pouch, so I almost never drink it. The first 2 1/2 months I drank warm herbl tea and sometimes orange flavor Crystal Light. I got close to 64 oz every day. Now I can drink cold liquids again--yay! Because my mouth wants ice!--but not plain water. Someone on this forum suggested it's the specific gravity: Fluids have to be heavier than plain water or the digestive organs can't handle the pH, or something. That feels right to me.

However you do it, you have to drink something. Protein drinks will do, or sugar free cocoa or instant cider. It might have to be tepid or even warm for a awhile.

btw, you can make a double cup of instant cocoa or cider and then cool it down to whatever temperature your pouch likes.

grmadeb01
on 7/12/12 10:07 am - FL
are you drinking it ice cold or room temp or some what warm...i personally can only drin**** cold water, others cant do that, some like it at room temp, others like it warm like in tea..
can you try some warm tea? that counts a liquid? try popcicles they can count some as liquids as they melt...others like to drink crystal light and other types of flavored waters and drinks...have you tried using one of the sports lids that comes on a bottle of water? i can use that alot easier than a regular bottle of water....pre op...i would carry around a 64 oz jug from 7-11 of ice cold water, it went every where with me..i sometimes would drink 1-3 of those a day...now i carry around a 32 oz one and re fill as i need, but it is always full of ice then the ice melts..your protein drinks count as fluid too...
just try to get in as much liquid as possible of any or all of the above listed...my drs plan wants us to have 100 oz of liquids a day..i have never hit that, i am 15 months post op..but i only drin**** water or fresh squeezed lemonade that i make at home and milk....what are your drs plans for your liquids? i shoot for 32-64 oz a day...
you just need to find what you like to drink..when i was first home post op, i had a hard time drinking from a straw...was like that for over 6 months, then it went away and now i drink from a straw no problem...
just take your water with you every where you go and just take a sip every 5-10 min, you will be surprised at how much you can get in by just sipping, but you have to have it with in arms reach at all times...if i have to GO get a drink, i would not get in as much as it is just with in reach at all times...
good luck
debby
Lady Lithia
on 7/12/12 10:08 am
Water shouldn't give you gas, full stop. Are you drinking milk? MILK gave me gas, cramping, and then exxplosive diarrhea (I realized I had become lactose intolerant and gave up drinking any milk).

I canNOT drink any water that is plain. one to two ounces is barely tolerable. But I get very nauseous when I drink water without additivves. A bit of lemon or lime makes it easier. I also drink room temperature only.

Try to mix up the temperatures, and add something slightly acidic to it (crystal light is my preferred additive).

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

soozieq
on 7/12/12 10:08 am
I'm going to echo the previous poster.  You need to get your water in, regardless of the form.  Add Mio, or Crystal Light, try it hot, cold, room temp.  Eat sugar free popsicles, eat ice chips (you can buy a bag of ice chips from Sonic - if you have one near you). 

The color of your urine is an indication that you aren't getting enough water.  The more concentrated the color, the more serious it is.

Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
LJ1972
on 7/12/12 10:11 am - FL
I am almost a year out and can only drink plain water in tiny sips... any temp. But if I add Mio or citrus slices to it I do fine. It's already been said, but hydration of any sort is imperative... SF popsicles, low / no sodium broth, add Mio / crystal light / SF kool-aid, put slices of lemon /lime/orange in your water, skim milk if you tolerate it, etc
Larry Wassmann
on 7/12/12 10:44 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Same for first 6 weeks or so, it is getting better. I had to use hurbal tea and SF popcycles as well, but now finally am able to have water without it hurting. Keep at it. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

naworth1
on 7/12/12 11:05 am - NC
I had the same problem. I would drink water and by bent over in pain. I had many test but everything was good. It was so bad I had to get fluids intravenously. My eye's were dry and I couldn't urinate. I am 8 months out and still can only drink VERY cold water.

In order to get my fluids in I ate sugar free Popsicles, very cold water with a splash of juice, and icee's. I drank with a spoon, no sipping just put the spoon on your tongue. I also took Gas-X(the kind that dissolves on your tongue). Slushes became my best friend.

Good luck!
yangie314
on 7/12/12 11:29 am - MI
RNY on 07/03/12
 It is really weird because before the surgery I was getting 84 oz+ of water. I looooooooooooove water. I am going to take alot of the advice and try herbal tea. I have been on nothing but soup and Popsicles. I do have to also concentrate on my protein. Today, I am noticing my appetite is telling me that I am hungry, but after 1/2 can of soup, I am stuffed. Thank you guys 

seattledeb
on 7/12/12 12:37 pm
 Fluids are more important than protein right now. It's essential.
I still rarely drink plain water. I've gone through a variety of other choices through the years. Diet green tea, SF grape kool aide, grape propel have all had their times.
Have a drink beside you at all times.
Fluid is good..dehydration = nausea, body stress, and trips to the ER

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views