Kitchen Crazy

Spudgrl
on 7/17/12 5:20 pm - Kuna, ID
I am cooking, baking, thinking of new things to do or try all of the time. If I see a recipe I am interested in I start processing right away how/if I could make it WLS friendly.

But, what is making me most crazy, is the desire to try things I may have thought I didn't like pre-op, or have never tried.

Example -- I used to say I didn't like Zucchini, but honestly, until yesterday, I couldn't tell you what it tasted like. I made oven baked Zucchini chips, and ranch dip using greek yogurt...pretty tasty. I have a pepper in my fridge, I don't even know what to do with it, I do not care for green peppers, this one is yellow....I bought ingredients to make stuffed mushrooms, WLS friendly style, and the ONLY time I would have eaten a mushroom is on a Pizza before this.

I know one of the points of having surgery was to learn new eating habits...what I didn't know is I would gain new tastes, and preferences all together.

HW 410/CW165/GW165
Remember the past, Live in the present, Trust in the future........

MickeyDee
on 7/17/12 6:02 pm
Try Eggface's recipes; she's got a lot of good ones online.
Strjen
on 7/17/12 6:56 pm - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
I find myself doing the same thing. Trying new things I never would of before surgery. I guess my mind is trying to branch out to widen my food choices to make up for the foods I normally would have that contained carbs. Its amazing how many dishes I made preop that were full of carbs. If you run into any good recipes you should share with the rest of us. Lol If you want, that is. Good luck.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Cherokeesage
on 7/17/12 7:01 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I love to cook and mix it up with recipes all the time.  I was a happy Home Economics geek in high school.  I don't care for mushrooms but made pizzas recently using portebello mushrooms as the crust.  I'm going to try the lasagna recipe Nik posted using zucchini when my company leaves.  They are bodybuilders and eat a lot of meat so it is meat, meat and more meat this week.  My husband is happy with whatever I put on the table so I have a lot of fun in my kitchen.  Keep having FUN with food!

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/12 9:16 pm
RNY on 04/18/12
I am just the opposite and I can't really figure out why.  I have the same thing for breakfast every day and a variation of the same thing for lunch every day.  Dinner is usually chicken with salad, some kind of fish or shrimp with a vegie, or a soup.  I have no desire to try new things and I am very comfortable eating what is easy and what I'm familiar with.  I think I will have more of a desire to cook different dinners when my husband ends his crazy summer, work-till-nearly-dark, hours and we can eat dinner together.

Which is not to say I don't get all my protein, vitamins, etc.  I do.  I think i'm just in a "boring" stage where I don't really care all that much what I eat and eat because I have to.
Sandy S.
on 7/18/12 1:06 am - MD
RNY on 05/07/12
How'd you make the zucchini chips? I'm making homemade hummus to take to a picnic on Sunday, those would go so well with it!

Spudgrl
on 7/18/12 7:25 am - Kuna, ID

I sliced them thin, put them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet in the oven @ 180 for 2 hours or so. Dried them nicely with a little seasoning of garlic, italian seasoning and parmesean cheese. Yum!

HW 410/CW165/GW165
Remember the past, Live in the present, Trust in the future........

Sandy S.
on 7/18/12 9:38 am - MD
RNY on 05/07/12
Thanks!  I can't wait to try them!!!

HollDobs
on 7/18/12 9:55 am - MA
Check out bariatric foodie aka Nik, I made her sausage and peppers recipe tonight. I have never been a fan of peppers and onions. I now love peppers and onions and this is one of my favorite recipes to make.