Is this an ulcer?

solise
on 7/19/12 10:54 pm - Brooklyn, NY
I am 3 yrs, 3 months post op RNY and up till this point have had zero complications. For the last year ive had a pain under my ribs on my right side. It used to come and go. Now its not going anywhere. Its with me all the time and seems to worsen after eating. The surface area has also changed. The pain is now under my ribs, in my chest and pouch area and my back. It feels like my entire core hurts. The pain is sometimes accompanied by burning. I ended up in the ER on wednesday, i just coudnt take the pain anymore. I had and ultrasound and CT scan which showed nothing. So now im waiting to be scoped monday. Anybody have any ideas about this?
cajungirl
on 7/19/12 11:02 pm
Do you have your gallbladder?  Since you mention eating makes it worsen my first thought was gallbladder.  In the past (pre-WLS) I had a marginal ulcer that felt better actually when I ate something.  I also felt hungry more often, not less hungry.

What type of foods are you eating?  Try a bland diet this weekend until you get scoped to see if that helps with the discomfort.  Please let us know what the scope shows.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

solise
on 7/19/12 11:05 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Yes, I still have my gallbladder. They said it looks normal on the ultrasound. They gave me prevacid 2x a day but I dont feel any different. The pain always begins on the right under my ribs, then it sort of spreads all the way across my core.

cajungirl
on 7/19/12 11:11 pm
I'd almost bet you it's your gallbladder.  The ultrasound doesn't always show stones have they done a Hidascan on you?  My experience even though the Hidscan and ultrasound showed nothing was it was my gallbladder.  Once gone I felt so much better. 

Your symptoms (including the spreading of discomfort that goes from the front to back, right side) is classic gallbladder symptoms.  BTW my gallbladder went bad 5 years after my WLS.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

solise
on 7/19/12 11:15 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Hidscan? No. Im just so tired of this pain. Ive been dealing with it for so long. Its getting harder and harder to work like this. Thanks for sharing your story.
wmamey
on 7/19/12 11:13 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
Sounds more like gallbladder than an ulcer. Also, the gallbladder often looks normal on ultrasound. They should have done lab work to compare, liver functions tests and bilirubin, these are often out of range with gallbladder issues.

Larry Wassmann
on 7/19/12 11:20 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Sounds just like me. My PCP said my gal bladder was fine from all tests. I made them do a CT scan and guess what it was bad. The surgeon said when they took it out during RNY that it was so bad they had to scape it off my liver. He said that must have been painful for a long time. Boy was that an understatment.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

solise
on 7/19/12 11:22 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Wow. My CT scan came back normal. If they dont find the problem with the scope I dont know what imma do.
beth1010
on 7/19/12 11:33 pm
RNY on 08/01/11 with

I had "sludge" not stones. Sludge as it was explained is microscopic stones.  This was seen on the ultra sound but my CT was clear. My pain presented on the right, in my back, and under my rib cage.
It would appear shortly after eating 15-20 minutes.

Whereas when I had my ulcer I had pain immediately upon eating and an over whemling feeling of nausea.

solise
on 7/19/12 11:36 pm - Brooklyn, NY
My pain is pretty much the same except that its pretty much always there, not necessarily after eating.

I havent had any nausea, just diarhhea for the last week.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 401 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 391 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 282 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 149 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?