Is it finally my turn???

longhornrose
on 8/2/12 7:48 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

Well, after failing my initial psych eval - yep, I'm one of those! - I was re-evaluated last Sat., and she said she'll be recommending my surgery. Finally! Seems that the first time around, I wasn't convincing enough about how committed I am to having the surgery and following through with the post-op plan. That was never in doubt in my mind, but I followed her directions, and went for counseling. Now I feel even better prepared, and so will hopefully be hearing from my surgeon any time now. I've spoken with my insurance, have coverage for the surgery, and so I don't think approval will be any problem.

So. . . I'm finally starting to get excited. I've jumped through all the hoops, gotten every pre-op test known to man, and have been working on losing some weight, even before starting the pre-op diet. Kind of proud of myself; since December, I've lost about 25 lbs. I want to be in the best shape possible for surgery, so I've been trying to replace some of my bad eating habits with good ones. I've had good days and bad days, but the good ones are coming more and more frequently.

Been trying to exercise by walking in the pool at the gym, but I have arthritis, and that's sort of kicking my butt, even though I'm working in water. Not sure whether to go ahead and try to work through the pain, or what.

Well, that's about it. The only other thing I've got to figure out is what to do with my hair! I already have extremely thin hair, and I know I'm going to lose even more after surgery, so I need to start with hats, or get a wig, or something. If anyone can recommend a good source for wigs, I'd be grateful!

Keeping my fingers crossed that my next post will be a surgery date!

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

poet_kelly
on 8/2/12 7:51 am - OH
Sounds like you're doing great!  I hope you get your approval quickly.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/2/12 8:09 am
Excellent news. Keep us posted
Astro1
on 8/2/12 9:46 am, edited 8/1/12 9:47 pm
Hey There! Long time no see! I am so glad all that is behind you with the counseling. I know it hurts to walk in the pool. I experience the same problem but it's the best for many of us with joint problems. I have worn wigs forever but I recommend that you go to a wig store and try on wigs. That is the only way to see what you like and what you look like. Hair loss doesn't usually start until 3 months after surgery so hopefully it will be cool and that's the time to start getting use to wigs.
Anyway, glad to see you back here! Take care, Jane
TJTorre
on 8/2/12 10:40 am - OR
RNY on 08/21/12
That's awesome! You are doing so well already. I was denied twice by insurance company so I know what it feels like to have to keep plugging along and staying strong. Good luck and be sure and let us know how you are doing.
    Don't trade what you want most, for what you want in the moment!