Day 6 and ready to cave

DangerGirl
on 8/1/12 4:00 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/17/12

I'm on day 6 of the 21 day Optifast diet that my surgeon requires and I'm about ready to cave 
It's not like I'm craving anything extraordinary either.  I just want toast, a piece of toast with margarine on it .... or peanut butter ...   ooooooooh, or a toasted peanut butter and raspberry jam sandwich (you see the progression right?)

I'm trying to keep my mind on goal and know the changes that are ahead, I think I'll crave the toasted peanut butter sandwich less when I can have an omelet or chili or something, but for now I'm staggered if I know how I'm going to get past the next 16 day .... GOOD GOD - MY SURGERY IS IN 16 DAYS!!!!  Wow, it's weird to see that in writing.

I don't mind the shakes, I actually quite enjoy the Vanilla with a raspberry crystal lite, that's not the issue - I miss ... food and chewing and crunchy stuff.

Any tips, suggestions, or just, "keep fighting the good fight" would be appreciated.

Hollie313
on 8/1/12 4:08 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
The pre-op diet is difficult.  It was probably the hardest part for me, anyhow.  Just keep in mind
that there IS a reason why they want you to do the pre-op diet.  It helps to shrink your liver
which in turn makes it easier for your surgeon to move the instruments around without
knicking your liver.

Hang in there.  YOU CAN DO IT!!

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

clueless320
on 8/1/12 4:09 am
I was there, and to tell you the truth I am back there. I only had to do a 14 day liquid diet, which I found having soup broth out of a bowl with a spoon was nice at meal times. Also does your surgeon allow sugar free jello and popsicles? Helps with the "eating" part. I just told my self I am almost there, this isn't a forever thing, I will eat food again. So just keep reminding yourself that you can do this!

I am 6 days out from surgery, I am starting to crave foods again. So I am going back to what I told myself before surgery. I can do this, I am strong, this is an addiction, this isn't forever.

Good luck to you, before you know it surgery will be here and you won't even know what hit you! Good luck on your weight loss journey as well:)

jamiebrain
on 8/1/12 4:16 am - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12

I'm very thankful my 2 week pre-op diet seems like a dream compared to some of the others.  2-3 shakes or protein bars per day plus one 400 calorie meal.  Plus I can have "free" veggies (like cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) and sugar free jello, popsicles, etc.  The last few days I've picked up cucumbers and red peppers from my office's salad bar after my lunchtime shake to fight the crunchy-munchies. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

a_better_life81
on 8/1/12 4:39 am - Concord, NC
RNY on 07/24/12
 The pre-op diet is hard. I had surgery a week ago, so I know how hard it is to keep going. It gets better and then there are days where it gets hard again. This too shall pass-in waves LOL

It was hard for me as I still had to cook dinner for the family most nights. What kept me going was the fear that cheating could make my surgery have complications. With three small kids at home, that was enough to make me say.. this __________________________ and ten min of pleasure is not worth risking my health over! It worked out in the end with my surgeon saying my liver looked perfect and had no surgical complications.

You might just try to some distractions, that what I did with my kids, we went painting, camping, played games and I spent a day out with a girl friend doing non food things. My husband also put sticky notes of motivation all over my house..a lot in the kitchen..maybe you could do that for yourself to keep you on track. 

Good luck! 

ToNewBeginnings
on 8/1/12 4:53 am, edited 8/1/12 4:54 am
The diet before surgery is difficult.
My advice is to keep as busy as you can to keep your mind off of food.
Also keep in mind this has an end date - 16 days!
You can do hard things!!!

macjuicy
on 8/1/12 5:23 am, edited 8/1/12 5:24 am - FL
Houston We have A Problem...
We all went thru the same and we are all survivors of that vicious diet... it helps to read or go outside, try not to watch too much TV food commercials can trigger cave ins... your only on pre step 1 it gets MUCH MUCH HARDER before it gets better.... your getting ready to start a life long comittment to yourself fight the urges... drink a mug of ho****er when you get hungry helps a whole lot

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

DangerGirl
on 8/1/12 5:25 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/17/12

Thank you everyone!  Looking at the calendar again I'm probably a little PMSy too.  I know it will go by quickly, I'm just in a whiny mood.

Thank you all for your great advice and encouraging words!!!

seattledeb
on 8/1/12 8:51 am
 I would be whiny too on that damn liquid diet.
Good luck!

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 311 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 282 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views