cruising after gastric bypass

iambrink
on 8/6/12 11:47 am
I am still not totally decided about gastric bypass although i am in process with pre-op at the moment.  I have a question about going on a cruise.  has anyone gone on a cruise after having bypass, banding, sleeve, etc... if yes, how long post-op...  I am booked to go a cruise the end of next April, so if i have my surgery i will probably be just a few months post-op at best.

I am now feeling nervous about that timing, but would be interested in feedback

any thoughts from others in that situation...

MaleNurse78
on 8/6/12 12:09 pm - Bossier City , LA
 Well I am 3 months post op on the 14th of August and will be going on a cruise on the 24th of August. Not sure how it will go but I have been on numerous cruises in the past so fingers crossed this time will be no different other than the fact that I am a bit thinner.

njsmm0812
on 8/6/12 12:11 pm - Tucson, AZ
RNY on 07/16/12
 I'll be honest I do not have the same situation but I had my surgery three weeks ago and feel fantastic.  As long as you have no complications there is no reason not to go on a cruise a month or so after surgery. I would ask your doctor of course. The one thing that might be difficult is the fact that all cruises have everything centered around food. Buffets, formal dinners, etc. The question is can you handle that?  

Alyssa
Sherry T.
on 8/6/12 12:35 pm - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
I wouldn't see it as a problem but it depends on your surgeon's plan...there are members in my support group whose dr's seem to keep them on a much longer liquid diet than mine.  I was only on liquids for a week, pureed/soft foods for  2-3 weeks.  At my 5 week appt with my NUT.....I was pretty much told as long as I could tolerate it go ahead.   I do avoid pasta, bread and limit my carbs but it seem doable.  

They have plenty of options and you'll be early enough out that you will not want to pig out on the buffets.  Our dinner in the dinning room was small....we either ordered two plates or ordered room service later.    Granted I was 6 months pregnant at the time but it was so hot...food really didn't matter to me.  LOL  and the motion sickness..finally broke down and toook some dramamine.  It made the trip soooo much better.   Good Luck!! 
MrsLitch
on 8/6/12 1:29 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I'll be 6 mo out when I go on mine in December and I wi**** was next week! I'd go in a heartbeat. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed myself the first month out cuz I was so tired but after that I could of handled it with ease

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Cheryl N.
on 8/6/12 2:10 pm - Des Moines, WA
I went on my first cruise on Sept 19, 2011 and my bypass was Aug 1, 2011.

I was still recovering and somewhat tired.  I did not really enjoy food.  Looking at people's huge piles of food on their plates made me want to vomit.  Same with smell of food on the cruise.  I only had 3-4 bites at each meal and the waitress were often confused and concerned that I didn't like what they served.  It wasn't that, just couldn't eat much. 

So it would depend on when you have your surgery and when your cruise is.  I would recommend waiting at least maybe 3-6 months.

I know on my next cruise, I will be able to enjoy it this time around. 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

iambrink
on 8/7/12 11:40 am
Thanks for all the replies.  I still have so many questions about the surgery, so i am covering all bases.  I appreciate everyone's thoughts so far! If i go ahead with the surgery i would probably be about 5 months post-op, but i would really hate to ruin it for my kids just because i am having surgery...oh the mother's guilt!
GraceGirl
on 8/7/12 11:50 am
LMAO I read the title real quick I thought it said Cursing after surgery LOL!!! Yeah I still swear !!! hahaha

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

Sherrie P.
on 8/7/12 12:18 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
I hope it does not slow me down either.  I am waiting on a date, but am shooting for 1st week in Sept.
I am going to Puerto Rico on business Oct 12... they always over feed and over drink us!

I also have a trip to an all-inclusive in January.  I hope I will be ok.

I am leaving Sunday on a cruise. I bet I gain a zillion pounds since I am pre-op.  lol

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

ShootersGal24
on 8/9/12 9:00 am - South St. Paul, MN
Went on our first cruise - February of 2011 - I was 11 months post op and the couple that went with us, she was 6 weeks behind me!  We had a FANTASTIC time!

I want to go again, now that I can tolerate more foods and such - but also because we simply LOVED the cruise! 

I would think, at 5 months out, you should be OK to totally enjoy and you have done cruise before, so you know what to expect.

Much luck to you in your journey!

Kelly
            http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2Fm5C4/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w2Fm5C4/weight.png">>

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 475 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 542 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 527 views
What's on your Monday Menu?