Vacation was so hard

AmberF
on 8/11/12 8:57 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
I just got home from vacations tonight. I went to Gatlinburg with my fiance and his family (Dad, Uncles, cousins and there wives) It was awful. The first day we went to an aquarium and walked for two hours straight, right after we walked 30 minutes to the restraunt we were going to eat lunch at. We then walked around all the shop for an additional 5 hours without stopping and then had to walk to the car about 30 minutes away. Everyone except my fiance and I that went on the trip were very active and healthy. I WAS DYING. I was trying to keep a smile plastered on my face because I wanted to make a good impression but I was in soooo much pain on the inside and outside. My back, legs, kness everything was screaming. Not to mention I was sweating like crazy and that was super embarrasing. Then I felt like people were starting to think I was being a ***** because like after hour 3 when people would talk to me I would just nod or give short answers because I was so out of breath and trying to hold back tears. The next day I was so sore and after being out and about for the second day we got back to the cabin and I laid down for like an hour and everyone had to make a comment about it. It was like geez people there are 12 other people here stop paying attention to everything I do! One day we went to ober gatlinburg and everyone was doing stuff but I knew I wouldnt be able to get on the rides so I was like "noooo I think im just gonna look around the shops" and of course everyone was like ohhhh come on ride stuff. Do people who are thin does it just not occur to them that maybe I cant fit? and all them hounding me just made me want to cry because I wanted to be able to do everything. Even mini golf was hard because I get so hot and sweaty and being in the mnts all the courses have lots of stairs. Dont get me started on the water park and the stairs OMG!!! even there there was weight restrictions on some of the slides. The cabin chairs were all wobbley and I was scared they were going to break so sometimes I would sit in the living room on the couch and everyone would be like Amber come in here, and when I would nicely say im fine in here I would get looks. It was a hard vacation and I go back to school on monday not exactly how I wanted to spend my only week off ( I went the summer semester) I tried to be positive but by day two I was already so sore and sad it was hard. I just dont think some people understand that walking around at 370 pounds is so hard. Im really excited about my consultation on August 20th for my revision from band to bypass. I kept trying to remind myself that when I lose the weight I will be able to go back and do so many more things and feel so much better. We dont have kids yet but I seen so many parents with young children having a blast and being active. Im excited to go back one day when we do have kids and be able to ride down the slides with my kids! All week I wanted to get on OH and tell you guys about it and just find some understanding and encouragement I feel alot better now just writting this
Chihuahuan
on 8/11/12 9:08 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12
I'm so sorry that you had a vacation like that.  I have to give you kudos for going though. I know how easy it would have been to just skip the whole thing.  Did you know these people before or were you just meeting some of them for the first time?   By next summer you will be in great shape to go and have a more enjoyable time if you choose to do so with them all again!  

AmberF
on 8/11/12 9:26 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
I was meeting all of  them for first time. They tried to get me to hike up some mountain called the chimneys which is suppose to be super hard and took them 3 hours. I just feel like because I said no thank you about going they looked at me like im lazy or something. when really it was just that I physically cant do it. We are all going to the outerbanks in North Carolina together in may. By then I will have hopefully lost a good bit of weight and be able to do more things. Thanks for you post it was encouraging!
GraceGirl
on 8/11/12 9:12 pm
People just don't understand.....I understand. That feeling in the pit of your stomach when everyone wants to go to XXX restaurant and you know the booth is too  tight....or when they want to go to a Yankees game and you know your fat is gonna pool up and out of  that seat....or when they all want to come over and hang out in your pool.....IT SUCKS. I get it...It hurts mentally and physically. I bet none of it was done in a mean spirit, thin people do not understand period.
I am sorry vacation sucked We all understand. Hugs

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

AmberF
on 8/11/12 9:29 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
yes, yes, and yes except for the yankees game lol that would be a braves game for me! Im a Georgia girl lol. Also I agree I dont think any of it was done mean spirtited I really think it just didnt occour to them. Thanks for the support!
Zeigled
on 8/11/12 9:23 pm - Parkton, MD
I'm so there with you on this one....you're carrying another person around.  You will feel so much better after you're down a bit.  I hope your consultation goes well.  I do have to say - I didn't feel a huge boost in energy until I was down about 60- 75 lbs.  I started about the same as you.  Good luck.
HW 357 SW 341   

kidnamedtoad
on 8/11/12 10:00 pm

It sounds like you made the best of what you could do.  Kudos to you for being a good sport.  Next year it will be different. You will be a whole new person.

Toad         Starting weight: 249 Day of surgery wt: 217  GW: 109 CW 149                                                                    
april89love
on 8/11/12 10:39 pm - NC
You just experienced the biggest reason I had for surgery. I couldn't keep up. I have 3 grandkids now and I can keep up what ever we are doing. I am so glad I had the surgery! Hope your consult goes well.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Casey B.
on 8/12/12 1:01 am - Brockport, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
 that must have been incredibly difficult!! i commend you for putting in the effort you did!! i had a similar experience when i tried going to Grassroots (incredible music festival held in Ithaca, NY) there is a lot of walking, having to carry coolers, chairs, etc. and it's true..a lot of people that have been thin/active their whole lives have a difficult time understanding that in fact people like us aren't lazy, and that the pain we can feel is beyond debilitating, and sooo many other things, that make us look lazy, needy, sad or whatever. i had my surgery July 2nd and while this first month and a half has been very trying, i have already lost 48lbs!! i still have a long way to go, but i know I'm going :) and you are too like someone else mentioned...by next summer, just THINK all of the things you will be doing! the rides, the hikes, the shopping ;), you'll be the one trying to get everyone else motivated!! your new beginning is almost here just keep pushing thru! keep us updated about your journey! good luck to you :D

Allen Y.
on 8/12/12 1:28 am - Garland, TX
 Well if you didnt tear and ligaments or sprain anything think about all the calories you burned!
The more you push yourself (Don't injure yourself) the more you will eventualy be able to do post surgery.

I am sorry you were misrible, don't be afraid to speak up for yourself. I think they would have understood if you told them you just wern't up to everything they were doing.

If your fiance does not understand that is something you really MUST work out right away.

Most Active
Recent Topics