Had my first dumping experience

chatterpam
on 8/13/12 9:50 am - PA
That experience with the turkey burger sounds like it got stuck more than you were dumping. Maybe it was too dry - at a year out I still have to be careful with turkey and chicken breast.

As for when you are going out of town, here is my suggestion. Find out if the room has a refrigerator. If they do - stop by one of the local grocery stores and get some Greek yogurts, cottage cheese, deli meat, etc. Take some protein shake mix with you so that you can make a shake in the room when you need to. That way you can grab something and take it with you and still network.

As for tomorrow... see if room service has a cold cut sandwich and just eat the meat and cheese, or perhaps some cottage cheese.

hibrahim
on 8/13/12 11:24 am - St Paul, MN
Nothing with meat in it. I could not tolarate meat for months after surgery.
happy_baker
on 8/13/12 11:35 am, edited 8/13/12 4:36 am
RNY on 02/15/12
That doesn't sound like dumping, that sounds like you got the turkey burger stuck. [edit to add: Sorry, I hadn't read the other replies yet--don't mean to be redundant and echo everyone else]

Dumping involves cold sweats, nausea, dizziness, fatigue and lethargy, and generally feels like a bad case of food poisoning.

Either way, it's not pleasant. Stuck food HURTS. Dumping doesn't hurt, it just makes you feel like crap.

As for tips on how to eat when out of town, no matter where you are, unless you're stuck in a submarine somewhere, there's going to be a grocery store. Find out where the nearest one is, and grab a couple days' worth of yogurt, soup, cheese sticks, whatever you can and like to eat. Most hotels have a refrigerator in the room, but if not, you can always buy one day's worth of food at a time and make sure to pack a cooler when you travel.

Also, it's a good idea to get acquainted with fast food's healthy options.

Wendy's chili
Slices of deli meat and cheese, or a scoop of tuna from Subway (just toss the bread)
The guts of a McDonald's grilled chicken snackwrap, no sauce.
Chicken soup at a deli

Good luck!
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Neen L.
on 8/13/12 12:08 pm - Arlington, VA
Ouch, sorry you had to go through that. Getting something stuck is awful. It always reminds me to chew, chew, chew. One of the things I had to learn was that I wasn't being a jerk if I sent back a steak I ordered rare that came out really overcooked. It's just not worth risking that awful pain.

I carry roasted, salted edamame with with me for when I'm out in a place where I'm not sure about the food. They have a ton of protein and taste like a cross between a peanut and a pine nut. Yummy!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

siamsa1
on 8/14/12 8:25 am
RNY on 07/17/12
Thanks everyone for your input!!  I ended up going to the front desk to see if they had any refrigerators that I could use and come to find out they did - free of charge.  So I got one of those and then took a taxi to a little market here in downtown and was able to pick up some things like Greek Yogurt and a few cheese sticks to go along with the protein shakes that I brought with me.  Bottom line - lesson learned.  Surgery has completely changed the way that I do everything - including traveling.

Jennifer

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 482 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 405 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 394 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 166 views