Skim Milk More Fattening than 2% - Dr. Oz Sez

chatterpam
on 8/13/12 3:02 pm - PA
So I was logging onto AOL and there was a little snippet with Dr. Oz and Marlo Thomas.  I watched it and was kinda surprized.  They were talking about the most fattening foods, which end up being 1.) french fries and 2.) potato chips (no big surprize there!)

Then they started talking about milk... Dr. Oz said that skim milk has way more sugars than than 2%.  When they remove the fat what's left are the sugars... the link is below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/10/marlo-thomas-monday s-with-marlo-the-most-fattening-foods-in-america-from-dr-oz_ n_1765013.html?1344871264&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl6%7Cs ec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D191929

Jessica K
on 8/13/12 3:12 pm - NY
Yes this is what happens when you take fat out of stuff.

Thanks,
Jessica K

Jilly Bean
on 8/13/12 3:29 pm - IN
RNY on 07/09/12
 I didn't know that.  Interesting.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

wendydettmer
on 8/13/12 3:43 pm - Rochester, NY
when i was drinking milk post op, i switched to hood calorie countdown, a ton of the sugar was taken out.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/12 3:51 pm
I've never drank anythin but whole and back when I wasn't lactose intolerant I tried to drink as much full fat-on-top raw milk as I could. YUMMY. It freezes well so I could go to the farmer and buy as many gallons as I wanted to put in my big freezer. Now that was some freakin milk, I tell ya.
chatterpam
on 8/13/12 4:48 pm - PA
Oh I know!  My aunt and uncle had a dairy farm in Crescent, PA... in the winter when the cream would rise to the top of the glass milk bottles my sister and I would eat it right off the top... grandpa would get mad cuz it made the milk taste too watery when there wasn't enough cream to mix in it!

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/12 5:24 pm
LOL! Well, once a farm girl always a farm girl. I don't think alot of people would like store milk anymore if they got some whole, raw milk from a trusted farmer. These days raw milk is "illegal" (of all the things...) so you have to buy a share of a cow in order to get your milk. It's worth it if you and your family are big milk drinkers though. Even if not, alot of health food stores have full fat on top milk (only its pasteurized) which I think is still pretty decent.
SarahLee1969
on 8/13/12 5:00 pm - NY
So...the difference in grams of carbohydrate between skim and 2% milk is a WHOPPING 1 gram. Even for people with RH 1 gram is rarely significant enough to cause a problem.And unless you are lactose intollerant, milk is a good way to stop blood sugar from dropping if you are feeling hypoglycemic as it has carbs AND protein.
kathyshrinks
on 8/13/12 11:01 am, edited 8/13/12 11:03 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
Here are the stats for both skim and 2%:

Skim: 86 calories, 12 sugars, 0 grams of fat, 8 protein, 1 iron, 30 mg calcium
2%: 122 calories, 11 sugars, 5 fat, 8 protein, 0 iron and 29 calcium

So, while skim has 1 tiny little extra gram of sugar, it also has slightly more calcium and iron, and a whole lot less fat and calories.  I am sticking with skim.

You will want to watch out for the sugars in "skim supreme" or "skim deluxe".  Sorry, I didn't take the time to read the article, but Dr. Oz may have been referring to that kind of "skim" milk. I sometimes buy the Lucerne (Safeway brand) which is pretty good:  90 calories, 13 sugars, 0 fat, 9(!) grams protein, 0 iron, 30 calcium. 

juleskar
on 8/13/12 9:14 pm
Ditto to kathyshrinks. My mom used to buy whole milk from the neighborhood dairy. She'd take the cream off the top to make ice cream. One time, there was a blob of cream in my glass of milk. When that thick cream went down my throat, I gagged and threw up. To this day, I drink non-fat milk and I always leave some in the bottom of my glass...eew!!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 298 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics