Pre-surgery liquid diet

icnside
on 8/16/12 5:38 am - Chesapeake, VA
Hi everyone! I am looking for info on your pre-surgery liquid diets. My surgeon did not require one, but my husband is thinking about doing one and would like to know what you drank/ate. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jess B.
on 8/16/12 6:12 am - IA

You are lucky I had to be on it for 2 weeks prior and will be on it for 2 weeks post op. Sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, low sodium broth and protein shakes and of course at least 64 oz of water but it can be flavored with sugar free flavoring as you do not want to waste all calorieson water. Other then that if it a mind over matter thing and the first couple of days SUCK.. I will not sugar coat it for you but it is so much better for surgery because it will shrink the liver and make it easier for them to move the liver.. I hAd surgery on tuesday and yesterday was by far the roughtest day for me because of being nauseated. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and I knwo you will be fine.

Shoegirl
on 8/16/12 12:16 am, edited 8/16/12 12:16 am - TX
I am on my third day of my pre-op liquid diet and it is asbolutely mind over matter. My doctor had 2 options and you could taste them and decided which one you liked the best ... I am drinking Optifast, 5 times a day. I  add Chrystal Light to a couple of mine a day ... just to have a different taste.  My surgery is scheduled for Aug. 27th and every time I think about how bad this liquid diet is, I just think about the surgery and how excited I am about have it.  Hope this helps and good luck
brenlee1965
on 8/16/12 7:33 am - New Berlin, NY
My doc didn't do a liquid diet,either. They wanted me to work hard at changing my eating habits; so that they know I am serious. I have been hearing people and reading info here at OH....Some pre-op diets seem to be the full liquid diet that we will be on once we leave the hospital (or) Optifast 5 drinks a day (or) liquids and protein drinks (3-5 times daily). My GF did 1 egg and veggies for breakfast and a salad at lunch and then a Healthy Choice Steamer meal at dinner and if she got hungry ONLY raw veggies were permitted. Good Luck....I am thinking that the liquid thing would be best before surgery too.
 Bren                
artroxy blue
on 8/16/12 10:06 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 My pre-op diet was as follows:

4 shakes/day--I chose Bariatric Fusion out of the ones on my list. 

2-3 servings of fruit/day--I usually added them to my shakes

1 can of Healthy Choice Garden Vegetable soup OR 1 large garden salad with balsamic vinegar

SF popsicles and Jello (limited to 2/day)

At least 64oz. of water, Crystal Light, herbal tea, Vitamin Water Zero, etc. 

1 cup of broth

I lost 14lbs. over the two week period. Hope that helps! :)
Jewelsstevens
on 8/16/12 11:20 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
My preop liquid diet is protein drinks and anything that you can drink but without any lumps or bumps. Sugar Free popsicles or fudgsicles. But, no sodas or alcohol or milkshakes.

So, if you eat cream soups, you have to strain them to get rid of mushroom or chicken pieces, etc. If it is drinkable yogurt, the same applies. you have to strain out the fruit peices if there are any in there. No jello or spoonable yogurt.

littlebill
on 8/17/12 10:16 am - CO
I'm on a liquid diet for three days prior to my surgery on Aug. 20, so I'm less than a day into mine. I'm limited to sugar-free/caffeine free drinks, popsicles, Jello and one Isopure protein drink a day, which I haven't tried yet. I'm not a tea drinker, or haven't been, but that's what I've had so far, and so far so good.
Most Active
Recent Topics