Oh, YUK!

longhornrose
on 8/29/12 9:15 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Tomorrow it begins.  My 2-wk. pre-op diet.  My surgeon requires 2 weeks of Bariatric Advantage shakes, 2 or 3 times a day, with one very low calorie, low fat, high protein meal.  So, to get a jump start, I decided to go ahead and start today, so broke out the big bag of shake mix, and chugged one down.  YUK, YUK, DOUBLE YUK!!!  Nasty.  I've been trying a number of different proteins, and found some I like, some not as much, but this is probably the worst of them all.

The first one, I just held my nose and gulped it, after adding SF chocolate syrup.  Thought that would help, but it didn't really.  The second, I mixed in 8 oz. of Crystal Light; that was tolerable, though sure not my favorite drink.  I don't really care that much for sweet drinks, but at least I could drink the shake a little more easily that way.

So, now I'm on the hunt for ways to jazz up the shakes so I can get them down the next two weeks.  Help! 

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

garnetgal
on 8/29/12 9:24 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
 Not sure if it's allowed on your plan but using sf pudding mix in the shakes can change them up. Also PB2 can help, as well as DaVinci or Toriani sf syrups. Chocolate mix with PB2 is pretty good, or with DaVinci sf toasted marshmallow. You could try fixing it in the blender with ice to give it more of a icy shake type consistency. Play with different flavorings, peppermint in vanilla or use almond extract. Get creative!

MrsLitch
on 8/29/12 9:54 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
the one I'm drinking now was a bit strong for me. I changed from 8 oz of water to 12 and it goes down fine without an overpowering taste. You may want to try different amounts to see if you can get it to taste better for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

shirleyfhoffman
on 8/30/12 12:22 am - CA
I usually make a coffee flavored shake with instant defac coffee grounds. I make the coffee (I like it strong), then I add about 8oz of fat free or 1% milk (10g of protein), 2tbs davinci sugar free caramel syrup, 1 scoop benifiber, and 2 scoops of unflavored protein powder (I'm using the GNC brand now cause it was on sale). I mix it up and then either add ice and have an iced coffee shake, or I blend it up and call it a frappiccino.

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

poet_kelly
on 8/30/12 12:49 am - OH
If you like coffee drinks, adding a spoonful of decaf instant coffee can make chocolate or vanilla shakes taste better.

You can also add protein powder to sugar free hot chocolate or hot coffee (use decaf).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AlohaJen
on 8/30/12 4:25 am
RNY on 09/05/12
Hello and Good morning !  I am on my day 6 of my 2 week liquid diet before my surgery on Sept. 5th !!  I had been drinking the shake samples for the last few months so I could see which ones I could tolerate.  I like the vanilla ones mostly, from Unjury and some on the Vitalady website. I mix it with ice, a few strawberries and skim milk, then I blend in our Magic Bullet blender.....  I cannot even think about not having them blended with Ice....  and like everyone on this message board told me, once you get past day 3, you are sailing !!  Good luck  !!!! 

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

MickeyDee
on 9/1/12 3:18 am
Is there any reason you can't use another brand of protein shake rather than the Bariatric Advantage?

Sometimes we just can't stand a particular brand, and finding one we can deal with makes the entire
procedure MUCH easier. 
longhornrose
on 9/1/12 7:20 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Actually, my surgeon requires the Bariatric Advantage, probably because it's full of vitamins and nutrients.  I love Jay Robb protein, and that's what I've been using, but when I compared the nutritional data with that of B.A., B.A. was much more complete.  So, I suspect that's why my surgeon requires that. 

I've finally found a way to get it down.   And the suggestion to add more liquid (I've been adding really cold water), plus using a straw to drink it, is really helping.

Thanks for everyone's input!  It's great to get so many ideas from people who've "been there, done that"!

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics