Stopping Nexium Cold Turkey?

treehousestories
on 9/11/12 6:09 am
 I've been taking Nexium for about 4 months. I am about 15 months post op. I ran out of my Nexium last week and haven't had the money to get it refilled yet. (Its pretty pricey!) I've felt fine without it and I'm just wondering if anyone has come off of it? I know, I need to ask my doctor before deciding to quit cold turkey or at all.....I'm just curious if any of you have stopped taking it and what the outcome was?

Thanks!

helenm71
on 9/11/12 7:04 am
nexium is OTC as well and they should have a gneric at target, good luck
H.A.L.A B.
on 9/11/12 7:42 am
no quitting cold turkey, you may be risking acid rebound, (more acid upon rapidly stopping antacids) and possible pouch irritation - even ulcers.

Google that - getting off antacid.
BTW: my BF currently switched from Nexium to generic prolisec - omeprozole.  We can get that in Costco or Sam's for app $14-$18 for 42 day supply (3x 14)

BTW: Every time i tried to get off the pills (even very slowly)  I got an ulcer(s) - now I decided to stay on them.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/12 9:01 am
Did your doc say it was ok to take the prilosec continuously? I ask because I need something but I'm not paying for a doctor's visit and then an expensive rx for something I can do myself.
H.A.L.A B.
on 9/11/12 2:26 am, edited 9/11/12 2:26 am
My doc and I discussed that every time I see him. He was the one suggested I use that as preventive.   A few times I tried to get off and end up in pain and with ulcer symptoms - he told me to take 2 x  day, and gave me stronger stuff.  plus the pain, doc visit, possible bleeding ulcers...  So after a while - he told me to just take it daily, watch for symptoms and if I have days that I can feel more acid  - just take that 2 x  day for a week or so... then slowly tamper off.

He said - "if you know it is working, and you can deal with that - do it".  The prescription Rx for any antacid is $30 so with $14-18 for 42 days - i will deal with that.  I don't like it - but it is working.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dave Chambers
on 9/11/12 8:15 am - Mira Loma, CA

I noted your surgery was about 15 months ago. Taking Nexium this far out is usually indicative you've had some discomfort and your surgeon put you back on it.  I'm not really sure there is a generic for Nexium.  But your surgeon may offer an alternative med that may have a generic form, with lower insurance deductables. A member of my support group was taking Nexium, and her monthly insurance deductable for this med was $35 a month.  I don't think stopping it cold turkey will do harm, but your issue for taking it this far post op will likely re occur.  I know a few post ops who are on Prilosec long term.  Prilosec also has an OTC version too, lesser strength that the script one though.  If you have insurance, I'd check on a generic alternative. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

lilbillsmom
on 9/11/12 8:35 am - TX
RNY on 07/30/12
I take Nexium every day.  If you go to the website: the purplepill.com...you can get a printout that will make your copay $18 a month...its there for everyone...I use it always...

Learning to eat to live, NOT living to eat....    
Dan OBrien
on 9/11/12 11:02 am - FL
I took it briefly after surgery, maybe a month and then just stopped per my doctor.  I had no issues with it, but check with your doctor.  I noticed the few times I have thrown up, I never had the acid burn, so I really don't think there is much acid in your pouch anyway...but I'm not a doctor...

Take it for what its worth.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230