Insurance Paying for Plastics

jessann5
on 9/12/12 8:12 am - Kansas City, KS
Has anyone had success in perusing insurance to pay for plastics after weight loss surgery? and if so how was the process and what procedures did you have done?

I am considering venturing down that road but I thought I would get some advice from my friends here on OH first.

Thanks!!!

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

Allen Y.
on 9/12/12 8:30 am - Garland, TX
 Best luck I have had is getting insurance to pay for hernia repair and while I was out anyway I self paid for panni removal. It was relativly cheapn that way. But first you have to have a hernia. I don't recomend that.

laura_vermont
on 9/12/12 8:32 am

I had a panniculectomy paid for by insurance - some muscle work was done due to hernia - so I am very happy with the results.

I have an insurance request pending for work on my buttocks, due to skin splitting, and I'm still waiting to hear.  Sounds like things are going back/forth between surgeon and insurance at this point.  I'm considering this to be a positive sign, since it wasn't a quick denial.

My advice is to ask for coverage.  No harm in asking.  If you don't ask, you won't get it covered. 

Good luck!
Laura

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

jessann5
on 9/12/12 8:38 am - Kansas City, KS
Thanks Laura! What kind of hernia did you have? I have had 5 venteral/incisional hernias.

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

laura_vermont
on 9/12/12 8:47 am
Yes, "just" incisional hernia.  Most policies don't allow for cosmetic procedures, but they do allow for reconstruction when there are related health issues.  Rash, infection, etc.

Panniculectomy is usually approved.  The issue is that people are not always happy with the results.  If there is hanging skin above the waist, it leaves a "muffin top".  Some surgeons don't relocate the navel or even just leave it off.  I think this is more an issue of choosing a surgeon wisely.  The muscle work, usually included in a tummy tuck, is what looks nice -- and gives a nice defined waist.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10