Peace with my Scale: Co-Dependent No More!

chatterpam
on 9/17/12 7:41 am - PA
Hi Gang!  I sure miss you guys.  School is SO much more intense and time consuming than I thought it would be, but I am giving it my best... sometimes just barely keeping up but hanging in there.  Sending much love to you all!

So, I wanted to talk about my new-found peace with my scale.  I was (and to be truthful sometimes I still am) an every-day weigher.  What the scale said kinda dictated (with my permission of course) my attitude about the day.  If the scale stayed the same or was down, I was doing the happy dance... if it went up I was cranky, and I allowed it to affect my day.  I have been co-dependent most of my life and have really worked hard on it... but with this new post WLS facet I found that it had creeped back in (creeped?... um, how about STORMED in...LOL)

I have been working hard on not weighing every day and, if fact, actually went from Thursday until this morning without weighing (first time since surgery 15 months ago.)  And guess what?  I was fine with it!  It wasn't on my mind and I never really even thought about it (ok - maybe once or twice...LOL)  The MAIN thing was that I wasn't OBSESSED like I have been.  This is a huge win for me.

Now don't get me wrong... if the scale goes above that two-pound-bounce I give myself I will be back to weighing daily and watching my foodies a little more carefully.  I don't want to risk sliding down that slippery slope... I want to nip it in the bud before it gets to be a real issue.

Sending love to my WLS family!!

Dee.spunk
on 9/17/12 7:48 am - Sacramento, CA
Good for you! I am also a daily weigher. I don't let it bother me if it's up or down or the same though. The only time it really bugged me was when I had hot a stall and it had been 5 weeks and no change. Then it started to bug me. But for the most part I'm happy with what the scale says. I do weigh daily, but that's to keep me in check. I'd rather do that than weigh monthly and find out that I've gained ten lbs for not paying attention.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Ladytazz
on 9/17/12 11:19 am
Me and my scale(s) have a love hate relationship.  I say scales because I am always buying new ones.  I started out when I first had my revision with a dial scale.  And I never used it.  It never accrued to me to weigh myself before or after my surgery.  I just went by what the scale at the doctor's office said.  Then one day, a few weeks after my surgery I was wondering what I weighed so I got on my scale.  And of course was frustrated because I didn't know exactly what I weighed and couldn't really tell if I gained or lost or stayed the same because they dial scales are hard to read precisely.  So I went and bought a new digital scale with all the bells and whistles and tossed the dial scale.  I kept that scale for a while and then I noticed that it would give a different weight every time I stepped on it, even after a few seconds.  How did I know this?  Because I was stepping on it constantly.  It drove me crazy.  I changed the batteries but it was the same thing.  So I bought another new scale.  And put the old scale in the bathroom upstairs.  Then I would weigh myself upstairs when I first got up and then go downstairs and weigh myself there and see if they said the same thing.  They didn't.  The one upstairs was 1.2 lbs higher.  Then the scale downstairs started getting wonky and wouldn't weigh right so I changed the batteries in that one and it was fine for a while and then would do the same thing so I kept changing the batteries and it would be right for a few days and do the same thing.  So I called the company because it was still under warranty and got my money back.  So I decided to get another scale.  I found a nice one at a thrift store for $5 so I got that but when I got home I found out it didn't tell body fat, only BMI, which I could already find on the internet so I put that one upstairs and brought the other one back downstairs except that one was still being inconsistent so I found another scale in a thrift store.  This one was real nice.  It's called the Ironman from Tanita, which is supposed to be a good brand.  Of course I had to check it again the other 2 scales and the number was pretty consistent and then I checked it against the scale at the doctors and I decided that it would be okay to use.  I sold the first one on Craigslist for $5 because it had all the bells and whistles and I paid a lot more for it so now I have two scales, one upstairs and one downstairs, and I weigh myself 4 times a day, once in the morning when I get up and then downstairs to make sure the first one was right and to check my body fat and I write that number down as I have for the last 2 years and then I weigh myself downstairs before I go to bed to see if the number is around the same as it was the night before and then I weigh myself upstairs to make sure the downstairs scale is accurate.  But I don't have any problem with the scale(s).

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SoCaPinkLady
on 9/17/12 11:28 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
I am guilty of weighing myself several times a day. I do my best to not let it get me down if it doesn't go down or if it stays the same. I was however having a hard time when it kept fluctuating between 3 lbs up and down for a few weeks. I still did my best to not let it get the best of me. I re-evaluated my diet, made some changes and continued to weigh myself. As of yesterday it's finally showing a good weight loss again whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I've broken through that pesky 3lb up and down and that puts a smile on my face!!!

It's so hard not to weigh myself. Maybe because I am only 3 months out and I was losing so much for such a while after surgery that the stall was really getting to me.

Lori                               

ShebasMom
on 9/17/12 12:19 pm
Revision on 07/05/16
I would go crazy if I weighed myself that much. Your body has normal fluid fluctuations throughout the day. The most accurate weight is your "dry weight". That is your morning weight, after you've  peed  and before eating/drinking.  

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views