Is RNy reversal able ?

ashleym6888
on 9/20/12 1:06 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
 So I'm not happy at all with my choice for the RNy. Nobody I talked to said it would be this hard.  I'm severely dehydrated. Have visited the emergency room 3 times in the last 3 weeks  since my surgery. I'm not happy at all. I cry everyday. I feel so starved. I need to go back to myself. I was so happier when I was really overweight. I got to hang out with friends and go to family functions. I have been so sick the last week on the couch vomitting and throwing up. My. Upper gi came batck normal.  Doctors are confused.  

Anyways I feel I was too young at 24 to have this surgery. Please help someone I don't want this anymore 
swampwoman
on 9/20/12 1:15 pm - Hampton, NJ
Can't you drink water? Why were you in the ER, because of dehydration? It is very normal to be depressed after surgery. I felt compelled to write to you because you are one of a very few people that has ever written that they regretted having the surgery? Were you SMO? Can you elaborate a little more on your condition.
  Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!                          
ashleym6888
on 9/20/12 1:22 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
 I couldn't get any protein down. Last three weeks I would vomit anyone up and sweat and get diarrhea.  Now today was soft my taste buds are gone. String cheese was a no go and eggs were disgusting to me. I just really want this gone. I talked to my therapist yesterday and she feels this surgery wasn't for me at a young age. And she has known me since 12 she said the way im feeling and look is completely unhappy   When I went to the er for nausea vomitting and throat closing dr said u need to go home this isn't an emergency. I have been treated like crap. I just feel my happiness is gone. I'm down 30lbs in 3 weeks but I rather be happy then care about weight loss. 
DebsGiz
on 9/20/12 8:58 pm, edited 9/20/12 8:59 pm - FL

What's really sad here, besides all the problems you're having, is the fact that your therapist did not tell you before the surgery that you were too young for this...

I would so encourage you to become a royal pan in the butt with your surgeon's office and demand that they see you.  What you are experiencing is simply not "normal," and they need to get to the bottom of it.

Queen Koosa
on 9/20/12 1:16 pm
You can have it reversed but it is a very hard surgery.

Lots of people have buyers remorse the first few months, you just need to keep sipping water and try it different ways, maybe warm, maybe cold maybe as tea.  Just find what will work for you.
You can do this it just takes time and trial and error for what will work for you.
DON'T DREAM YOUR LIFE.
 LIVE YOUR DREAMS

cookiebaby
on 9/20/12 6:26 pm - Alton, IL
 When I originally had the band and was very sick and dehydrated and my doctor did not pay attention and I had the same problem at the ER, this is how I handled the problem:  I called my doctor's office and found that they were having one of their classes for people about to have surgery.  I told them that they needed to help me NOW or that I would be at their office sitting in the waiting room and let them know that I looked awful and had been crying for the last hour.  You know what?  I got help :)  Reversal is not really an option but you need someone to listen to you and help you deal with the problems you are having.  You can get through this - you have a wonderful life ahead of you.
jazzycatz
on 9/20/12 1:26 pm - Joppa, MD
As the previous poster said, it is not unusual to have buyer's remorse at this stage of the game. The fact that you don't know about whether or not they can reverse the surgery concerns me a bit. I worry about the quality of your pre-oop education.

They can reverse it. It is very difficult and they don't like to do it unless it is a life or death type of thing.

And you can hang out with friends and go to family functions. It will be different for you now. Your focus will be more on the company than the food. And that's ok. We just have to get you on track to feeling better.

So was it dehydration that landed you in the ER? At this stage out it is fluids first, then you worry about protein and then you begin to concern yourself with food.  You have to get those fluids in. Sip sip sip.

You can do this! Now give us some idea of why you were in the ER and what you have been trying to drink (or eat) so far.

ashleym6888
on 9/20/12 1:34 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
1st time in er I couldn't breathe and had chest pains. I was dehydrated uti and fluid in lungs. 

2nd time I was vomitting nausea and my throat felt like it was closing. 
3rd same thing plus my stomach was burning 
last two times doctor in er wouldn't even call my surgeon just said this isn't an emergency. 

So had to call surgeons office once the weekend was over and took them 3 days to finally tell me I needed an upper gi. 

Pre op I went to tons of support groups and it seemed like everyone candy coated the surgery. Nobody said it was awful u wouldn't have energy. I have just drank water the last week.  And would throw it up 

today I tried string cheese and eggs. Stayed down so far but my stomach is still upset. Before I would drink ginger ale and be fine now I can't even do that. I'm disgusted with myself for this surgery 
jazzycatz
on 9/20/12 1:52 pm - Joppa, MD
Ok, big hug. You have had a tough time of it.  Eggs are really hard on some in the beginning so you might have to let those go for a bit. I was around 5-6 months before I could get passed one without gagging. Now I am fine with them again.

Throwing up the water made me think stricture but since you have keep the solids down then that is not going to be it.  Obviously, huh?

Sorry everyone seemed to candy coat the surgery in support. That's where I heard the most complaining. If your therapist thinks you weren't ready I am worried about who did your psych eval. I think they didn't do a very good job.

Emotionally this surgery can be extremely difficult. I mourned food for the first 3 months. My surgery was in September so I was still recovering during the holidays and with all the estrogen flying around from fat burning and the food mourning I was a mess.  THen around 3 months out I suddenly reaized one day it was getting better and I turned a corner.

Remember, you just had major surgery and your insides were all rearranged. Your body is still trying to figure out exactly what has happened and how to fix it or live with it.

So you have an eating plan and all that? Stages to go through?
ashleym6888
on 9/20/12 2:02 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
 Yes I had surgery 3 weeks ago. Then I was on liquids for this'd 3 weeks. Then today I start soft for 3 weeks. Then after solid food. What I can't get over is I feel so thirsty so when I tried to eat this morning I was so thirsty from the food. It is so hard to wait 30minutes before and after I was ready to cry my mouth was so dry. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 240 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views