Another procedure tomorrow

Beth B.
on 9/27/12 5:20 am - Fayetteville, NC
I am 6 weeks out and have had constant stomach pains and vomiting.  I have been hospitalized 2 times since surgery and almost died one of those times by losing 7 pints of blood.  I had an endoscopy last Wednesday and the doctor said everything was ok.  I went back to work last Friday and lasted 4 hours and started throwing up.  I have been out of work since.  Went back to the doctor on Monday and he ordered an upper GI on Tuesday.  I went back to the doctor yesterday and he says I have a fistula where my pouch has reconnected with my old stomach.  He tried to give me a song and dance about waiting to see how long it will take for my ulcer to heal and I told him NO something had to be done now that I needed to go back to work.  So tomorrow I am having another endoscopy done and he is going to "glue" the place.  I also told him that I have not gotten the nutrients in these past few weeks because of how sick and nauseous I have been.  He told me that if the "glue" doesn't work he will have to operate again.  I am so frustrated and upset and just plain pissed off I don't know what to do.  Has anyone heard of having a fistula this early?  or them "gluing" the stomach back together?  Very nervous about the possibility of having more surgery.  Thanks for letting me ramble.

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 9/27/12 5:57 am
RNY on 09/17/12
Bless your heart.  I haven't had any problem like that, but just wanted to say hang in there and good luck.  Hopefully the procedure tomorrow will knock it out and you can get on with things.

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

MsBatt
on 9/27/12 6:49 am
Fistulas suck, but yes, they can occur at any time. I've heard of a couple of people here who've successfully had one plugged, but most people do wind up needing surgery to fix them.
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/12 8:15 am
Well, Beth I guess it is going to be hard for you to recommend any type of WLS and can't say that I blame you.  You have had one problem after another.  Unfortunately you fell into the % that has complications.  I can't say oh, I so understand because I didn't go through this and it sure would help for anyone else out there who had major problems, recovered, lost their weight and started living life again to post.  In the meantime,
all we can do is be here for you to help in anyway we can.  Damn it.   Jane
Friendlybyte
on 9/27/12 8:54 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12
My heart goes out to you.  I will keep you in my prayers... Hang in there and know you have all of us to turn to... Please keep us posted and good luck!

Delia Montalvo
on 9/28/12 12:51 am - San Antonio, TX
I am sorry for your dilemna. I had an endoscopy done after my procedure because I was unable to hold ANYTHING down. I was at 5 cm and was dilated to 10 cm and at the same time was told I have an ulcer in the area of the pouch. I was given Zegerid for it and told to bo back three weeks later for another dilation. I did chose not to go back because of financial reasons, but have been feeling fine. I may have the other endoscopy in the future, but for now, I'm leaving it alone. I hope that you have relief soon, it is horrible when you go through all these problems when you do something that should improve your quality of life.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views