nearly 2 weeks out and still in significant pain

dizzylizzy19
on 9/28/12 12:02 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
So, I'm confused.  Everyone here seems to have healed right away (but then again, maybe hind sight is 20/20).  I had surgery on 17 September and I'm still in significant pain in my right side (where the BIG incesision was/is).  It's so bad I can't sleep.  I'm following my surgeon's eating plan (full liquids - including jello and creamed soups strained), I'm getting 1/2 - all of my protein in daily, all my vitamins, and at least 6 cups of water - so I'm doing everything right... why am I still in pain?  Is this normal?  When I saw my doctor on Monday, he said he was still going to hurt. 
denaraye
on 9/28/12 12:36 am - MI
I'm two weeks out and still have pain also.  Are you still wearing the brace?  It helps me a lot.  The pain gets a little less each day.  If I over do it during the day, I may need a dose of pain medicine at bed time.  I have found sleeping on the couch much more comfortable as it provides support on my back if I sleep somewhat on my side.

Hang in there!  this too shall pass.

I am no longer defined, by the wreckage behind!

dizzylizzy19
on 9/28/12 12:42 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
I didn't get a brace.
Mendie Thompson
on 9/28/12 12:39 am - TX
RNY on 09/24/12
 I'm new to all of this, but as an opinion, I would say, stay relaxed and be patient. First and foremost, everyone heals at different rates.  When I had my first c-section, I was out mowing my lawn the day after I was released.  I am typically a fast healer.  But it's years later, I'm 4 days post op, and it seems to be all I can do to get out of bed for my hour exercise.  Of course I do, and I get more than an hour, but I hurt consistently.  My best friend had this done over 10 yrs go and she said she couldn't lift her arms over her head for about a month.  Just do what you have to do to stay on top of the pain and keep on keepin on...it HAS to get better.  At least that's what I'm holding on to.

dizzylizzy19
on 9/28/12 12:46 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
I've been lucky, I guess... I can function.  I've been trying to get 2 miles of walking in a day (except yesterday when I was in serious pain). 

It's just frustrating because I want immediate results.  I am not so much interested in immediate weight loss - because mentally I know that won't happen.  But as for immediate pain relief, I'm a believer in that!
MrsLitch
on 9/28/12 12:49 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
my big incision was on my left and it hurt for 3 weeks and I woke up one day and poof it was gone. I think if you search "left side pain" you will see a lot of threads.

Just hang in there it gets better I promise.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

artroxy blue
on 9/28/12 1:19 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 My large incision is on the left side, and it stopped hurting by 4 weeks out. I used pillows to support me while sleeping. 
Michelle V.
on 9/28/12 1:22 am - Livonia, MI
Did you have your gall bladder removed?

I did and had extreme pain for a month. I hurt so bad I was unable to move without breaking out in a cold sweat.

It eventually got better.

dizzylizzy19
on 9/28/12 1:48 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
YES, I did have my gallbladder removed.  Maybe that's it
melaniepl
on 9/28/12 2:06 am - St. Petersburg, FL
RNY on 09/05/12
I had my gallbladder out during, and I was converted to open from laproscopic. I'm three weeks out and still in a little pain at night, when I toss and turn, but it's a lot better than it was a week ago so you might find yourself turning a corner, soon. Are you taking anything for pain?
"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools