Should I be concerned??? Bad PAINS

dizzylizzy19
on 9/28/12 12:33 pm - VA
RNY on 09/17/12

I had RNY laproscopically with gallbladder removal on 17 September.  Yesterday and today, my pain level has gone up significantly.  On the right side is where the "big incesion" is and it's hurting pretty badly.  I'm not throwing up (I had some soup and jello this evening), but the pain is pretty intense.

Should I call the surgeon and/or go to the ER? 

At this point, I figured if I can keep the full liquids down I shouldn't be too concerned, but with the pain I'm worried something is wrong.

dizzylizzy19
on 9/28/12 12:49 pm - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
ugh, talked to the surgeon on call.  She's not overly concerned because of no vommitting, but says if I don't improve I should go in tomorrow morning (when it's less busy at the ER)
babs_02
on 9/28/12 1:15 pm - NY
Did you not post on the RNY board that you are walking 2 miles a day with two dogs and one weighs 130 lbs? I would be really careful walking the mastiff....because if he pulls you along, you could be straining something. You are only a week and 1/2 out from RNY and Gall bladder surgery and could be hurting yourself. If I were you I would tell my surgeon what you are doing with walking the 130 lb. dog so they can check to see if you've done any damage. Just holding on to that size dog and pulling and being pulled along.....could cause you some straining. 
dizzylizzy19
on 9/28/12 1:19 pm - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
Yes, I would totally agree with you.  Except... my dog is a trained therapy dog and is super super well behaved.  No pulling at all.  In fact, I usually don't even hold on to his leash much.

But I agree with you.  I'm going to make an appt with the surgeon next week and mention that to him as well. 

But my surgeon was totally ok with me walking 2 miles a day (in two segments). 

Thank you for the concern!  If I read that someone was walking a 130 lb dog I'd be concerned too!  But funny enough, my corgi (30 lbs) is a MUCH worse puller than the mastiff... hense the corgi isn't getting walked - he's just getting yard play
brenlee1965
on 9/29/12 2:29 am - New Berlin, NY
Your BIG incision is on the right and not the left. Wow. I had my gallbladder out with the RNY also.I was doing great and apparently overdid and then holy cow the pain was so intense that I called the hospital where I had the surgery done and they called back and said to take pain meds they prescribed and try to sleep and they wanted my surgeon to see me the next morning.She said what I was feeling was the deep sutures and there's a nerve that runs along the incision and I must have irritated it. Let me tell you; it was NOT pleasant and I also had a sharp stabbing pain in my belly button (that went away) but the left side pain from my incision to around to my back remains (not as bad as it was) I am off the pain meds and doing pretty good without liquid Tylenol, now. I wish you the best. I would call, just to make sure though. Good luck
 Bren                
dizzylizzy19
on 9/29/12 4:43 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
It sounds exactly like me!  I've backed off on my activities and such, and am taking meds - hopefully this helps.

And I'm not sure if to say that my big incesion is on my left or right, I know that sounds silly - but it depeds on how you are "looking" at it.  If you look at my body it's on your left, but on my body it's on my right.  Don't make fun :)  My head is not working right.
Most Active
Recent Topics