Pre-op Liquid Diet.... HELP!

sharoncarrie
on 9/29/12 9:24 am - Garland, TX
Hello all... I'm on day 5 of the clear liquid diet (14 days total). I can NOT stomach one more protein shake. I just can't do it. I broke down & ate a piece of chicken breast just to have some substance. I have tried several protein powders & just cannot stand any of them. And the surgeon's requirements is 4 to 5 shakes a day. No way. Is it imperative that the diet be ONLY liquids or it is that the diet needs to be high in protein? I would be happy with some greek yogart or cottage cheese ...anything but these shakes. I can only have protein shakes, clear broth, SF jello & SF popsiciles. I hope some of you can lend some advice. I have emailed my NUT but she hasn't returned my email. Any suggestions are most appreciated.
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/12 9:32 am
Its understandable that you feel at the end of your rope. For me the 14 day liquid diet was the hardest part of the surgery. I think I lost 20 pounds. it was very hard and I was a wreck. I was limited to the same foods you listed.  But you have to do this and strictly follow your surgeon's plan. The purpose of this is to shrink your liver so that there is room in your abdominal cavity to perform the surgery without complications. If you cheat even once your liver  won't shrink enough and they may need to switch from laproscopic to open surgery. Plus this is to prepare you for the difficult diet that lies ahead post op. This surgery is not for sissies and anyone who says its the easy way out has clearly not gone through it.

I know it seems like you can't drink another protein drink or stand not having solids but if you want this surgery you dont really have a choice. You can do this. Make a list of why you are having the surgery and add to it and strengthen your resolve.

Best of luck to you!
Allen Y.
on 9/29/12 9:47 am - Garland, TX
 The liquid diet has several purposes.

When they are cutting your intestines to reroute them they don't want anything leaking out to give you pertintus.

The liquid diet does make you loose weight and your liver will likely shrink some. Thus the operation is safer for you.

They could make you do a bowl cleanse a day before the surgery like if you were going to have a colonoposky but most people would prefer not to do that.

Every surgeons instructions are different, but it does not have to be a clear liquid with my doc. If you can pour it through a calendar  the filtered liquid is OK. Thus cream of chicken soup etc is on the menu.

Since you cheated, you should probably do the bowl cleanse for your safety.

ddematteis
on 10/1/12 9:48 am - FL
i had to do a 2 week liquid diet and a bowel prep.  and after 2 weeks of optifast i swear i will never drink chocolate milk ever again
sharoncarrie
on 9/29/12 10:12 am - Garland, TX
Thank you for your inputs.. I truly appreciate them! I'm going to let my NUT know that I cheated so she can tell me what I need to do. Most likely continue on the diet as directed. I'm determined not to cheat again. The cream of soup sounds great but the NUT said no. Only clear liquid broth. I bought some unflavored protein powder so I'm going to add that to my broth for extra protein. This is a hard process... No one ever said it would be easy, they just said it wold be worth it. Refocusing!
angeleigh
on 9/29/12 10:14 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12
Ohh that was the worse part of the Pre-op. I ended up using Slim Fast, Low carb shakes. They were easier to get down. Also I did 1 hard boiled egg a day up till i think 3 days before. If you are going to cheat, do high protein, low carb stuff and small amounts.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Debbie C.
on 9/29/12 10:55 am - Bradford, MA
RNY on 10/10/12
I feel your pain. My surgery is 10/10 so this is my 4th day of liquid diet. Mine is 3 shakes and the same liquids that you mentioned. My Dr did say that if it was really unbearable in the first week I could eat a little salad and grilled chicken at lunchtime, but to avoid it if possible. I have not eaten anything, and I really despise the shakes right now, but it will be so worth it in the long run.

Good luck with your surgery!!
nightbird
on 9/29/12 11:16 am - Bowie, MD
 Since my Dr. told me I could have milk in my protein drinks for my pre-op diet, I would get two sugar free iced lattes with no ice at Starbucks and have them add three scoops of their protein powder to each one of them and sip them through the day.  It helped me get through those two weeks.  Also, I would have Progresso french onion soup and just drain off the onions...it seemed like I was having a meal then and it was flavorful.

Good luck :)

Lisa
CarolF3
on 9/29/12 7:37 pm - Albany, NY
RNY on 12/17/12
Does Starbucks have protein powder? I didn' t know that. Interesting idea. sounds like a good one.
I am thinking ahead as my surgery isn't until next year.

Carol

sharoncarrie
on 9/29/12 11:51 am - Garland, TX
You all are the best! That's why I love this site. A place free from judgement where we all are going through just about the same things! 
Most Active
Recent Topics