In need of encouragement

Socgirl218
on 10/1/12 9:30 am
I am 6 days post-op. I go for my follow-up on Wednesday. I have lost 20 lbs. since I started the pre-op diet until today. That is very exciting, but I am having a hard time mentally. Did anyone else struggle with depression or feeling blue after surgery? If so, any advice on how to get past it?
a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 10/1/12 11:59 am
RNY on 09/17/12
Yes ma'am.  It's normal and you just have to push through.  What are you down about?  Not being able to eat?  Pain? etc.

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

wmamey
on 10/1/12 12:03 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
On October 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM Pacific Time, Socgirl218 wrote:
I am 6 days post-op. I go for my follow-up on Wednesday. I have lost 20 lbs. since I started the pre-op diet until today. That is very exciting, but I am having a hard time mentally. Did anyone else struggle with depression or feeling blue after surgery? If so, any advice on how to get past it?
First, congratulations! You will find alot of support here!
I have had several surgeries before my RNY but by far this was the toughest thing I have ever been through. I cried everyday (several times a day) for the first 3 weeks! I thought for sure I made the worst mistake of my life. I was somehow convinced that I was going to die as a result of the surgery. This will pass!!
Once I was able to get out, keep busy and the pain went away I started getting better mentally. Are there any support groups in your area? Attending a support group and talking to others could help. Find something to do to occupy your time, also keeps your mind off of food!
It does get better! Just think of how good you are going to feel when the weight starts coming off!

BugdocMom
on 10/1/12 4:54 pm - CA
You're doing great! And you are perfectly normal! I swear, for the first few months, I felt like I did when I was pregant. I would get mad for no reason and cry at the drop of a hat. I couldn't listen to the stupid Onstar commercials without tearing up... it was embarrassing. But, Ihave heard the same from so many other WLS folks. I have heard the reason for this is becasue our fat cells actually release hormeones (estrogen, i think) as they shrink. So, the rapid weight loss phase is akin to perpetual PMS. LOL. You may want to run it by your doc at your visit just to get reassurance. But, for most folks it seems to get much better as the initial weight loss slows. Hang in there.
mpjones
on 10/2/12 4:25 am
On October 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM Pacific Time, BugdocMom wrote:
You're doing great! And you are perfectly normal! I swear, for the first few months, I felt like I did when I was pregant. I would get mad for no reason and cry at the drop of a hat. I couldn't listen to the stupid Onstar commercials without tearing up... it was embarrassing. But, Ihave heard the same from so many other WLS folks. I have heard the reason for this is becasue our fat cells actually release hormeones (estrogen, i think) as they shrink. So, the rapid weight loss phase is akin to perpetual PMS. LOL. You may want to run it by your doc at your visit just to get reassurance. But, for most folks it seems to get much better as the initial weight loss slows. Hang in there.
Oh Lord, I'm staring 70 in the face--I don't think I could handled PMS again-LOL !!!
tinamarie_125
on 10/1/12 7:41 pm
 Yes I had major "buyers remorse" right after. I ended a life long love affair with food. It was hard breaking up . I should have made my user name on here "cries at Pizza Hut commercials". That is a funny, crazy memory for me. I remember sobbing at fast food commercials thinking I would never be able to eat that stuff again. I found that exercise helped take away some of the sadness. And seeing a good counselor and working thru my "breakup". Don't be afraid to seek help for your mental health!
Socgirl218
on 10/2/12 12:25 am
 Ha ha! I can so related to the cries at Pizza Hut commercials!! I never realized how many of those there were before I had the surgery. 
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 10:51 pm
Yes I felt pretty sad and downright emotional after surgery . Congrats on having the surgery! Just know that the emotions are normal from the hormones your body is releasing as well as the recovery from anesthesia. I would try to think positive thoughts and walk every day as much as possible so you get endorphins flowing. You will feel better soon, this is just a temporary lull. Hang in there and keep it up! You're on the right track!
Socgirl218
on 10/2/12 12:26 am
 Thanks for the encouragment!! I am sure that once I am able to be out and about again my mood will improve!! Going stir crazy not being able to drive! :)

stanggirl89
on 10/2/12 2:04 am - DE
OMG pizza hut !!!!

im 4.5 months out and yes i struggle with depression sometimes ill go a week and not wanting to socialize do anything then next week im out and about..just something we go through..

but you are def in the right place to ask questions and support   :)

May 16, 2012

HW:345 SW:329 GW:200(Jan 30,2013) 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 442 views
Recent Topics